Twenty Two|Prom Night|

22 |Prom Night|

                                     •\/•

                              ~Zoe🦋~

With Noah out fishing with Sid, I slump on the couch and shut my eyes. What could they be talking about? I hope Sid is not oversharing my past with him. Oh gosh, he better not!

I feel my intestines tighten at the thought of that. Now I'm starting to think I should have gone with them.

I hear the door swing open and immediately, I whip my head to the side like a deer in headlights. I heave a sigh when I see dad walk in.

He smiles me a quick greeting before grabbing a glass of water. Seconds later, he returns and sits beside me, leaning back, he presses his hands palm down on his thighs and exhales sharply from his nose.

"I was just from seeing Mr. Coleman," he says as he shifts his eyes to me. Recalling all that happened the last time we had a conversation about my grades, I feel a sense of uneasiness knowing so well how terrible this conversation will end.

I don't say anything, I keep flitting my eyes away from him, waiting for that moment when this conversation will switch from zero to a hundred in a bat of an eye, but it doesn't, what he says right away causes me to dart my eyes to him, looking totally bewildered and perplexed.

"I was wrong," he repeats, this time his eyes are turned to the ground and his shoulders are hunched.

He straightens up and exhales sharply, when his eyes meet mine, he starts talking again, "I was wrong to think that I could mold you into what I thought was perfect." He pauses for a second then continues, "Before your mother and I had you, life was harder than it was when you were growing up. Having you was our greatest gift and your mother and I swore to give you the best life possible. With the little money we both made, we did everything we could to make sure that you lacked nothing."

He exhales again then continues to speak, his voice starts breaking with every word that's coming out of his mouth and I can tell just how hard this is for him to share with me.

"Wh-when your mother died," Tears well up in his eyes but he blinks them back and exhales sharply from his pursed lips, "Before she died, we vowed to make you somebody in life, to help you become somebody much better and greater than we could ever be."

Tears sting my eyes, hearing him talk about mom, their struggles, and the plans they had for me is so heartbreaking, it's really heartbreaking knowing that they sacrificed so much for me.

"I misinterpreted the definition of perfect," he says, without looking at me. He looks to the side and wipes his tears in hopes of hiding but I see it, and like Nanna told me before, it's okay to cry.