CHAPTER NINE | Watch your back

Abduction is a romantic expression of passion.

CAPTIVE HEARTS

CHAPTER NINE | WATCH YOUR BACK

Katarina

I was done arranging the stacks of cold drinks inside the chiller. After that, I needed to fix the inventory inside the stockroom so I could go out early.

I need to talk to Pavel.

Napahinga ako ng malalim. After he helped me to escape from our family giving me to a monster and vowed to never communicate with him, I got a message that he needed to talk to me.

He said that I had to move because Dmitri found out where I was hiding.

Napahinto ako sa ginagawa at napahinga ng malalim. How? How did Dmitri wound find me here? Pavel said that his place was off limits. No one knew that he owned this one. For a year, I was living here in peace. People didn't know about me. They accepted me that I was Natalie Ferrer. Even if I looked different among anyone else here. Alam naman nila na may lahi akong foreigner. Just looking at my face, they would already knew that I am not like them.

I changed how I looked like. I changed the color of my hair. I changed the way I dress. I needed to look like the people around. I adapted the simplicity of life here. I cut all my connections to everyone even from my Nana Isay. I knew how she was worried about me. The last news that she knew about me was, I am going to be given to Boris Yelchin.

Gusto kong masuka nang maalala ang lalaking iyon. No way in my freaking existence that I would marry that guy. Mamamatay muna ako bago ko gawin iyon. I knew what that freak would do to me. He would just make me his fuck doll. His toy and I would never allow that. I would never allow my sick family to use me for their personal gains.

For a year, I was living in this safe place. The people around here were good. Although some were nosy, but most of them were good and friendly to me. They made me live here safely.

That was why I was so shocked to receive an email from Pavel that we needed to talk.

How in the world would Dmitri found out where I was hiding?

Napahinga ako ng malalim. Ako na rin ang sumagot sa sarili kong tanong. Alam ko naman sa sarili ko na puwede kong taguan ang pamilya ko pero alam ko rin na darating ang panahon na mahahanap nila ako. Kung nagawa nila akong itago sa buong mundo, magagawa din nila akong hanapin at ilabas sa pinagtataguan ko. I knew my family was into something illegal and I knew by doing that, they would have all the means, the connections to find someone. Nagawa nga nila noon kay Stepan. Kahit maraming connections ang ex-boyfriend ko, nagawa pa rin nilang mahanap at mapatay dahil ayaw akong layuan.

And now that I was enjoying my life here, I knew what Pavel was going to tell me.

I needed to move and leave the life that I was enjoying here.

Tumingin ako sa loob ng stockroom kung saan ako gumagawa ng inventory. Kahit madilim dito, kahit mainit, kahit hindi comfortable, for months this was the witness on how I loved my job being a store clerk in this convenience store. Ngayon talaga ako nag-enjoy sa ginagawa ko. Kahit hindi kalakihan ang sweldo dito, still, I knew that I was earning something for myself without the help of anyone. At masarap pala sa pakiramdam iyon. Ang proud ko sa sarili ko dahil alam kong ang ginagastos ko, ang ipinapambili ko ng pagkain ko ay galing sa pinagpaguran ko at hindi galing sa bulsa ng magulang ko na alam ko namang isusumbat din sa akin. I was taking care of myself without the help of Nana Isay. And I realized, I wanted this kind of life.