At Fault

Not grammar-checked, not revised, and incomplete story with an underwhelming (but happy) ending.

Enjoy!

---

When the giant apocalypse happened, everyone was caught by surprise.

Pey was with her husband, Lares, when the ground began to shake. Shadows covered the ground, and roars filled the air.

And then came the screams.

It was not a minute after they came that the world turned upside-down. People pounded on the doors of homes as the giants near them scooped up human after human, and ate them. Bones crunched, and screams were silenced.

The world went quiet in less than a day. The power went out, as the giants destroyed the power lines. Nobody could hear anything from anyone else, except from those that were close to them.

Lares had grabbed Pey, and their two young children, Mari and Felix, and dragged them down into the basement, carrying everything they could. Food, water, and clothing, and matches.

Days passed, and they waited. Occasionally, the ground would tremble, and they would hear the tearing of material and the crumbling of buildings, as the giants destroyed what remained of their beautiful neighborhood.

Mari had cried for hours. Pey couldn't blame her. The 5-year-old wasn't supposed to experience this. She was supposed to make friends in school, not suffer in a nightmarish reality.

Felix was wary of every sound made from the outside world. They could see light, as the basement remained standing, but didn't dare to go outside, as the earth shook. The young teenager stood poised with a bat near the doorway, ignoring how sore his arms would feel.

Lares tried everything he could to contact the outside world. He dialed every number on his phone that he could, receiving no responses, before it died. He tried sending letters out into the open, and received no reply.

Humanity's reign had truly ended, and there was a new age of giants on the rise.

...

One month later...

Lares could hear footsteps nearby. They were not large and heavy, like a giant's. Instead, it was quiet and accompanied by silent cursing.

It was most definitely a human's.

A few rocks tumbled down the staircase as a shadow blocked the light coming in from the jagged opening.

"Ah, hello? Is anyone there?"

Pey quickly covered Mari's mouth with her hand, so she wouldn't cry loudly. Lares and Felix prepared their weapons, hiding behind a wall.

It was a human, sure, but no human could be trusted.

The figure descended the stairs. "No?" He chuckled. "Well, more for me!" Felix heard him then mutter under his breath, "I gotta stop talking to myself."

Felix saw a pair of shoes at the base of the stairs. Overeager and far too reactive, he frantically ran forward, swinging his bat.

The young man's eyes widened, and he leapt backward, out of range of the wooden object. "Hey, wait!"

Felix persisted, may it have been out of pure anxiety, or fear. He was inexperienced, however, and the man caught the bat easily on the next swing. "Look, I promise I'm not here for any trouble!"

Lares stepped into view. "A-Are you sure? You were quite literally announcing that you were going to ransack this place."

"Hey, that's not fair!" The man protested, "I asked if anyone was down here. You two didn't-" As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he spotted Mari and Pey. "I-I mean, you four, never responded, so I assumed no one was down here."