5 - One, Two, and Three

Rory Paine's POV

The high pitched and short chirps followed with the wind, tousling my hair. Hoping that this season won't be as windy as the last since it caused too many inconsistencies. Freshly cut grass was pleasantly sweet and sharp conjured up past memories of playing ball with my father. I lean my body against the fence, placing my hand on chin as I take in the smell. Before I came out here I had a irritating headache which was now nothing but lingering pulsating stings.

I adjusted my glasses and ruffled my hair into a somewhat better hairstyle knowing that it was time to see if any of my roommates where here already. People typically come earlier than expected because of excitement to play.

"Rory?" My glaze nonchalantly drifts towards the familiar voice. The catching coaches voice. The same old boring clothing and fragile voice irritated me, "Sorry, did I startle you? I wanted to tell you that a few new pitchers have came this year. I would like it if you could form a battery with one or some of them. You have a chance to become a catcher agai-"

I forcefully pushed myself away from the chain linked fence causing a eruption of metal scraping across itself. Looking back at him, I found myself dizzy with the headache become worsen every second. Walking towards his direction I unconsciously glare at him, "Don't tell me what to do. I just need someone who listens."

As I continue walking past him, I hear a breathy sigh. It was nothing but the truth. If pitchers just listened properly, we both would be standing out more. Last years events played out in my mind like a movie. The argument with a senior, the fight, and then the demotion to being just a designated hitter.

As I enter into the dormitory, the new players and returning players, worriedly glance over toward me. It wasn't a particularly new thing that's just something that's now happening because of last years events. Since I had already knew my room, I went straight towards the stairs.

Countless whispers of wishes and hopes that I wasn't in there rooms filled the air too. Each door I passed seemed to reward the occupants standing around with joy. I open the staircase doors, a few people sitting on the stairs chatting glanced over before moving out of the way. Ignoring them, I start my ascend all the way up to the third floor.

There was barely anyone lingering in the hallway here, just two familiar faces laughing around like idiots. As I walk down the hall, I notice quickly that they were standing outside my dorm door. I sigh sharply, realizing that these two clowns were my most likely my roommate.

"Hey." They abruptly stop and look up at me, there expressions changing from scared to happy within seconds. I look towards the door pointing my finger at it before turning my head back to them, "Same room?"

"Yeah! We're roommates again this year too. I guess it does probably have anything to do with a lot of complaints about not wanting to be with you." I narrow my eyes at him, Jasper, before gripping onto the door knob when suddenly Nic grabs me.

"Ah our roommate is sleeping inside and we didn't want to disturb him." Nic's voice was quietly deep as usual. Finding myself groaning, leaning my head back as I walk backwards to lean against the wall, "I didn't recognize him."

Snapping my head to face him, agitatedly looking at his expression in hopes to find out that he wasn't being truthful. Without notice, the door to room 301 opens. A small bony hand grabs onto the frame of the door, until eventually a guy comes out looking much like his hand. Slender neck, straight collarbone, narrow shoulders. I could only imagine being a shortstop unless for some reason they started putting manager into the player's dorms this year. I notice he wasn't looking at any of us, just down at the floor or maybe at his feet. He was tightly gripping onto the hem of his shirt, fidgeting.

"Um.. sorry.., I happened to fall asleep." He had a annoyingly delicate voice. Before me any of us could say anything to him, he ghostly walked back into the room leaving the door open behind him. Glimpsing over to Jasper and Nic, they were already looking at each other with nervous expressions.

"Was that a ghost?" Jasper questioned Nic with a trembling voice, only to be answered with a unsurprisingly unsure response. Well regardless of ghost or not, it's a roommate.