6 - Mission: Introduction

Ace Wilder's POV

"Maybe we should leave so we don't wake him." The once laughing deep voice was nothing but serious. Nothing else was said inside of the room but I heard them leave not long after talking about me sleeping. After the door clicked shut, I stealthily peek open my eyes to which I was going to look around as I try to actually make sure nobody was there. Although that attempt was shut down by the face that I had forgotten that my head was facing the wall.

I close my eyes again, pretending that I was moving around in my sleep. Before opening my eyes I lay still for a moment just in case. After a few seconds, I once again peek around the room. Quickly sitting myself up as I lean on my hand, in a hushed voice, my chest expands and then slowly breathing the accumulated air back out. I go into the bathroom that connected with the room realizing just how much extraordinary the whole faculty was, even down to how the grass was cut.

Turning on the cold water, I cup my hands underneath the silver faucet as I let my hand fill up. I already know that I can't pretend to be asleep forever, meaning I'm going to have to introduce myself soon. Leaving the bathroom door cracked open, I found myself hearing the people from before outside the room. Perplexed at what I should do next, I frown at the door. I glance around the room as I had decided to look around the room more closely then I did at the beginning. Noticing baseball equipment like gloves, uniforms, and bats.

It would only make sense if my roommates were here last year if they already have uniforms. During a phone call with Mr. Klein, my mother had ask him to which he responded that newcomers get them on the first day of school. Suddenly I hear a groan outside the door, making me realize that I was staring at the door until now. I flinched dramatically and nearly screamed out loud but I hurriedly covered my mouth causing a loud slapping noise to echo in the room. I understand now that the walls must be thin, but hopefully they didn't hear me practically slap myself.

Whatever the case, I sit down on my bed trying to figure out whether I should go out there or stay inside and wait for them to enter. Surely the before is a better answer. They've been here before and the definitely know that the walls are thin so I can't play it as I didn't hear them unfortunately.

My leg shakes uncontrollably in a aggressive up and down motion, bouncing off the floor. As expected, soon enough my ears begin warming up as I start to realize that I have to do it if I want to have, at the very least, a harmonious relationship with them. I forcefully swallow hard down at the fear forming at the back of my throat.

Shakily, I stand up before falling back onto the bed. My legs suddenly ached with pain, telling me that my body didn't want to open that door. I look at the door with a dreading expression, before giving a go at standing up again. This time was just barely successful as I wavered a lot. I trudged my feet against the floor purposefully, trying to give myself as much time as humanly possible but it didn't last long until regrettably, the door stood before me. I sighed out loudly before gasping. The door was the only thing separating me and them. What if they heard?

I chew on my bottom lip, biting off hard skin on them. A habit that my mom hates. Twisting open the door, my legs become even weaker. I had barely opened the door enough for them to see me. My hand flies onto the frame of the door, gripping it tightly to hold myself up. My legs, of course, completely given out. There was no way out of this as I already opened the door and sure enough, they stood outside silently watching me.

Rushing to get myself situated, I open the door more as I swing my head down instantaneously. I let out a pathetic voice that sounded like I was crying, "Um.. sorry.., I happened to.. um..fall asleep." I lied through my teeth so blatantly. They never said anything but I could feel them staring into my head. Feeling my knees giving out, I felt it was better to go back into the room so that I can sit down. I unconsciously found myself already drifting into the room, although I made sure I left the door open.

I heard some whispering outside, but I just shakily walked to my bed as I sit down. It wasn't soon after until they all came in. I heard multiple set of footstep enter the room, followed by one walking to the bathroom and the others leading to where the bed are. Placing one hand on my knee as to stop myself from shaking them and my other hand on my chest, feeling my heart beating rapidly.

"Let's have introductions!" A jokingly but awkward toned voice sharply yells in the room. Followed by the same person laughing ridiculously, "I'm Japser, third baseman. Oh and I'm also a junior."
So my assumption was correct, these guys are all most likely older than me. A third baseman. I peek up sneakily through my hair glancing at Jasper from across the room. I feel my throat become sore, aching as if I lost my ability to utter a word.

"Well, alright. I'm Nic, a senior. I play in left outfield." Nic's voice had a thickness to it, though he had a soft comforting voice. My shoulders fall from their once tensed position. I tried my best to peek over at Nic, but his head was out of few from my bed. I gaped my mouth open, surprisingly comfortable to introduce myself. Although that feeling didn't last long when the person from the bathroom pulled open the door in a fast motion, startling me back into my hunched over tensed posture. My body had practically folded into itself once my dangled my head over my legs. My hands laid tightly grasping onto the bedding as my breath became unsteady and shaken.

"Rory introduce yourself!" Jasper had a distinctive loud voice as he yelled. I heard a yawn walking over near me, to the bed closest to mine. The little creak of the bed as he got onto it and a little huff of a breath.

"Rory. Hitter." Although it was a rather short introduction, which I didn't mind as I would prefer to end this quickly. Jasper had let out a loud groan after he had spoken. Once again peeking through my hair trying to take a glimpse at Jasper to see what was happening. I could just barely see him glaring at Rory. Taking this chance to look at Rory, I notice his tired expression.

We all had twin beds, but compared to Rory's body, his looked like a child's bed. I hadn't realized I was starting for too long until I glance back up into his eyes, which were already looking at me. Somehow it looked as if he was looking directly at me into my eyes. I dart my gaze away from his, "He's actually the catcher, just not at the moment." Jasper chirped up. I could hear his smile on his face for some reason.

Abruptly, I suddenly feel all there stares at me that just letting me know it was my time. I breathed in heavily preparing myself. Nic's enriched voice suddenly chimes in, "Don't worry if you're nervous. You're new here." Although it was just a simple statement met for motivation, it seemed to have a little effect as I felt a sudden clearness.

"I'm.. um Ace." I went with the flow, just saying my first name as to match there introductions. I didn't look up, gripping my hands together more firmly than before on the blanket. There was a overwhelming amount of silence after I talked causing to slowly start losing control over my leg shaking.

"You're name is Ace? That's a really cool name? Don't tell me you're a pitcher, that would make it even better!" Jasper laughs at me. Widening my eyes, I hadn't noticed that my name was weird. My silence was loud as my body shook like a fragile glass cup balancing in a pencil.