before

Carmen

The sun is setting over the Rocky Mountains, and I watch them through the makeshift window that slants slightly to the left. The glass is foggy and cracked, but it does a good job of keeping the chill out. The many peaks and valleys of the mountains are lit up orange and pink from the echoes of sunlight. It's brilliant colors make me sigh dreamily.

I love this planet, even if it is half dead at this point.

I smile, folding my laundry neatly, transporting it into a small box that is a pathetic excuse for a dresser. I don't need much, so you won't hear any complaints from me. I put my hands on my hips, appreciating my work and wondering how much daylight I have left for an afternoon walk.

Slipping out of my room, I cross one of the many suspension bridges hanging in the trees to connect the countless tree houses. The rickety boards sway beneath my feet. I pass a few girls along my way, smiling and saying hi as everyone goes about their business, trekking across the pathways built from solid wood.

Lots of girls in the colony stick together in little clumps. It's not necessarily a clique thing, we have just learned that it's safer to be in numbers in this world.

I'm not sure if Earth has ever been safe, but it had to be safer at some point. Before the government fell, before men were nearly wiped out of existence, there must've been more security. Of course, it was men's fault in the first place. Who do you think started the wars? They brought on their own extinction.

I roll my eyes, smiling to myself as I remember how lucky I am to have been brought into a community of women trying to salvage what's left of this planet. There's not a single man in our clan. We're safer because of it.

I glance around, seeing if I can spot Aria amongst the many girls coming and going. I wave at a group as I pass, continuing to look around for our trusted leader. Aria is tall, taller than any other girl here. That's not easy to do, there's almost two hundred of us.

As I climb down a fraying rope ladder, I land on my feet and lift my hand to block out the rays from the sun that cut into my eyes like knives. I'm ready to walk off when I hear my name being called.

Claire comes running up to me, her face wild with pure panic. Knowing Claire to be the calmer one on the council, I can assume it's serious to have her this worried. Although she's taller than me, she's younger and still naive. I put my hands on her shoulders, pulling her close.

She's trembling like a leaf as her black hair goes flying around her crazed face.

"What happened?" I demand, and she shakes her head, her skin paler than usual. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

"I may have." She murmurs.

I gawk at her. "What?"

"You won't believe it if I told you. You need to see it for yourself. You'll have to follow me."

My mouth drops open, and I glance around to make sure that no one is eavesdropping. It seems like no one is the wiser as not a single person is looking in our direction. It could be since everyone is excited about dinner.

My heart pangs, thinking about the food shortage. Meal portions were getting smaller as we ration what we have left. Everyone is getting hungrier.

"Does Aria know about this?"

She nods in a quick jerk, gesturing over her shoulder.

"She's the one that sent me to get you."