|02|

Carmen

     The second time I ever saw a Rytarian, I was in the gardens collecting vegetables. It was the day after they arrived.

    Even though we had let the human girl into our clan to discuss the aliens, the males were prohibited from entering our grounds until a decision was reached.

     The stress of hte newfound knowledge of life outside of earth had me reeling. I was one of the women on the council, I had to help make the decision, but all I wanted to do was shut myself away from it all. It had been too much too soon.

     I was picking snowpeas when I heard a crunch. I jumped up like a frightened cat, rounding on one of the giants as he stalked me from the bushes. He looked as surprised as I felt, and I acted on complete instinct.

    Grabbing my knife from my boot, I pounced on him, going for his throat as he tried to calm me by grabbing my arms. I had screamed as furiously as a wild animal.

    Terror reflected in his eyes, and at the time I thought it was fear for his life. I was trying to kill him after all. He was an unwelcome guest in my home and I didn't want to give him a chance to act first. I had built up too much distrust, too much hatred for the opposite sex to think twice.

     I now realize as I stare at a group of the enormous aliens that he wasn't afraid for himself, but for me. He thought I was crazed, thought I would hurt myself. We humans are nothing compared to their ridiculous strength. That was obvious enough when that male pinned me to the ground easily with one hand. I couldn't imagine how such a thing was possible.

     Squinting through the air vent, I watch the Rytarians from above. They're in some sort of control room, standing over computers and lights and all sorts of buttons. They chit chat here and there, but they mostly remain silent, tight-lipped and focused on their jobs.

     Hugging my knees to my chest, I think about how I used to be like that. I used to work and have a purpose. I led my own people. I had a voice, a job that kept me busy and important.

     And now I'm running away.

     As soon as we left Earth I wanted to go back. I was surrounded by strangers when we arrived, everything was so new and scary. Sure, I had my girls, but not all of them cared to stay in touch. No, they preferred the endless supply of buff alien men. 

     I cringe when I remember Aria and cringe, tucking my head down into the darkness to try to forget it before the memories can start.

     A flash of Aria making out with a random Ryatarian guard pops into my brain and I whimper. I push my palms onto my eyes, pressing down, trying to make the image go away.

     The moment I saw it, I knew this would happen. I knew it would be burned in my brain forever.

     How could she not see what was right in front of her?

     I shake my head, knowing I'm being ridiculous.

     Aria is straight. It's not her fault I developed a massive crush on her.

     "How is our prisoner behaving?" A voice draws me out of my stupor, and I gaze down again at the group of males milling about.

     "Locanas is fine. He's not eating or talking much, but who cares?" They all laugh and I glare.

     I don't know what Locanas did, so I have no right to be defensive of him. But he's locked up like a dog, hes being taken to a prison island where he'll be left to rot. They have no sympathy for him, no care for his life.

     He could have done something really bad. I have to remind myself of that.

     He has nothing to do with me. I'm here to escape. I'm here because I was suffocating in that castle, or palace, or whatever the hell they call it. I don't care. I'd rather live in the deserted mountains then spend another second suffocating in that place.

     "He keeps saying something about a female. He says we need to go back, that we have a stowaway in our midst."

     I turn to stone, each muscle tensing as my breath halts, waiting desperately to hear more.

      He told them about me.

      It doesn't seem like they believe him though, because the comment is followed with a burst of boisterous laughter.

      "No, I'm serious! He actually wants us to believe a female snuck onto the ship. Can you imagine? As if we wouldn't notice her right away."

      I glare at the man, male, whatever he is, the thing with a penis. He continues to chuckle and I wish more than anything that I could punch him in his stupid face right now.

     I half expect myself to jump down and shout 'here I am!" At the top of my lungs.

     Instead, I control myself, shrinking back down to the vent I now call home.