TWO

"mama, i promise." layla spoke up. she and her mother had just left the pharmacy, and we're back at laylas apartment.

"i'm picking up a few extra shifts at work and i'm selling paintings." she tried to convince her mother. "and, i'm not going back home - not as long as he's still there." the brunette huffed out.

her relationship with her step father was horrible to say the least. the two did not get along at all- hence why layla moved out as soon as she could.

the conversation ended rather quickly. her mother leaving to go home and layla heading to work.

••••

it was two days after the altercation with the marines, layla had overheard nora and cassie talking about the health benefits the marines wives would get- and she was desperate so what else could she do?

she parked in front of frankie's home and got out of the car, adjusting the t shirt she wore. she locked her truck and went over to the door, gently knocking.

"frank! cmon!" she called out, looking at the door with a wide smile. unfortunately her smile had fell once she seen who opened the door.

"ah, you're not frankie." she spoke up, the smile replaced with a glare.

"so what happens to men in the future?" he teased, reading off her shirt.

"do you really wanna know?" layla mocked, "it doesn't end well for the bros" with that she pushed passed him, greeting frankie with a hug.

"awe, the decorations" she spoke, reaching up to touch one of the banners that was hung up. "you know my mama," frankie grinned.

"do you mind giving us a minute?" she turned towards luke.

once the other marine had left the room layla sat down on one of the kitchen stools, letting out a deep breath before looking at frankie.

"so what's up girl?" frankie had asked her, leaning back in his own chair.

"would you wanna maybe possibly get married?" she asked him.

"what?" he let out a laugh, shaking his head at his long time friend.

"i'm serious frank," she tried again, slowly beginning to regret her decision of asking him.

"are you okay lay?" he asked her, now suspicious.

"well, not exactly." she began, "i found out seven months ago i have diabetes, type one. and apparently my insurance doesn't cover the insulin i need- that i need to like, live. so i either pay off my debt, or pay my rent which is extremely high for such a shitty place, but i just can't do both" she let out, looking up desperately at her friend.

"which is why i have to marry you because spouses of marines get free health care and a couple grand a month which we can split-."

"i'm sorry lay, i can't." he started, "i have riley and-." as if on cue the other marine had burst in from outside.
"i'm sorry,my dads a retired Mp." began luke. "excuse me, private discussion commando" she spoke up, now frustrated.

"mp, means military police," frankie explained. this caused layla to go quiet, allowing luke to explain.

"frankie, this is a common scam, they kick the tires on these things and if they find out it's not real, it's fraud. cmon man, you're better than this. and you'd be ripping off the government." the male finished off, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

"i'm sorry, you mean the same government that deported my father when i was younger?" layla stood up, now angry. "the same government who made my mother pay taxes for ten years before allowing her to vote? that government?" she let out,

"she must have been living here illegally then," he shrugged.

"how are you even a resident of southern california that does not see how this state was built on the back of immigrants, like oh- i don't know my mother who left a country that was war torn?" she threw her hands up in frustration, walking closer to the other male.

"i will proudly and gladly rip off your government," she concluded. "you got anything else to say commando?"