Ch10 Eighteenth Birthday, P3

Chapter 10: Eighteenth Birthday (3)
~10.3~
*****

After the meeting with Shiro, Kye and Alethea called Layla and James to the room to discuss it. Astraia and Astarte took their human forms as well. Allison was in Arslade, but she received the message and planned to join them soon.

"Shiro Shikigami?" Layla asked. "The same man behind the attack in January?"

Alethea nodded. "He's very powerful. He could have killed us himself if he was so inclined back then. I expect the only reason he didn't is that he knows if we die prematurely, we can come back to this world."

"What do you mean?"

"Are you aware of Eve's sons?" Kye asked.

"Sons?"

"Eve has two sons. Azriel and Ezra."

"Most of our missions are cleaning up after them," Alethea said after an exasperated sigh. "They're..."

"A handful," Kye finished. "They have the maturity of children who have too much time on their hands. One of them is innocent enough most of the time, but the other is a troublemaker. You can imagine what one uses as toys when you're the child of the one omnipotent being."

"And you end up cleaning up their messes, usually?" Layla said. "And you return to a world if you die prematurely?"

"We'd re-reincarnate... re... words?" Alethea shrugged.

"I see...?"

"On that note," Kye said. "Mother, if I happen to die, do me a favor... ahem... You and father... make me another body..."

"...make you another body... uh..."

"I should figure something out, too," Alethea said, making a classic thinking face. "It'd be an issue if I was reborn and couldn't get in contact with nobles."

"You could maybe... no, then we'd be sisters. I don't want us to be blood sisters... we wouldn't be allowed to be together. Maybe the Tachibana family? You could ask Kanade, Riku's mother. We'd be blood cousins, but that's not a big deal. Michelle and Adele are and it's fine."

Layla and James shared apologetic smiles, listening to the two girls coming up with plans. They glanced over at Astraia. She was wearing an exasperated smile.

"You're going to break my dear sister's heart, Alethea."

Alethea gave her an apologetic smile. "I suppose I could ask mother to do that, in case I die. I just didn't think she'd be willing to since... father..."

Astraia smiled. "Atlan, rest his soul, would have been thrilled to hear you call him that."

Alethea also smiled. "I wish I could have known him. Do you think mother would do that for me though, without him? I don't feel comfortable asking that of her."

Astraia pulled Alethea tight, "Sweetie, Lanti would do anything for you, even if it means pregnancy to ensure you have another body to be reborn into. I do think it's a good idea to be ready for anything, but I don't like this morbid thinking. Especially for you and Lanti."

Astarte sighed and spoke up, "I've said this before, but your willingness to die is unhealthy. Not only for you, but for us as well."

"A parent preparing for their child's death isn't something they ever want to do. Especially Lanti. She would do it for you, she would do anything for you, but she would hurt. Your siblings..." Astraia couldn't finish for the tears in her eyes.

Even Astarte had a tear in each eye. "You recall why we bonded in the first place, don't you? I'll talk to Atalante about this, but you must promise us that this preparation will never need to be used. You must live." She eyed Kye as well. "Both of you."