Resigned

Author's Note: Thank you all for your support on this! Your kudos, kind words, and DMs always make my day.

I am thrilled that this has taken off and to finally be here. 

Onwards we go! 

-X-

"A delay?" Admiral Walsh screeched.

His face was red as he seethed with anger.

"What kind of delay?" the Admiral demanded.

"It seems Captain Picard has concerns about the android," Maddox said. "He's been talking to someone."

Maddox frowned.

"You assured me Starfleet was behind me," Maddox said. "I thought this was settled with Admiral Nakamura?"

Maddox's involvement had come with conditions – he had to have Admiral Walsh's assurances that Nakamura would back his orders, that Maddox himself would dictate the conditions of Data's confinement, and that once Starfleet had its research – Maddox would be free to keep Data as long as he liked.

"I'll see to Nakamura," Walsh assured him.

His eyes narrowed in on the bruising along Maddox's jawline.

"Was it violent?" Walsh inquired.

"Oh this?" Maddox asked, rubbing his chin.

Maddox chuckled.

"You were right to warn me about that Lieutenant," Maddox remarked. "The blonde."

Yar. Admiral Walsh realised.

"Packs quite a punch," Maddox said.

"You have no idea," Walsh replied.

He was about to make a note to have Nakamura restrict Yar to quarters when he was struck with a truly brilliant idea.

It was wicked.

Rotten, really.

But Admiral Walsh had a feeling it was just the thing. As a bonus, it would keep his hands clean from any involvement in the manner.

"You know she likes it," Walsh said.

Maddox looked confused.

"The game. The chase," Walsh explained. "That's her way of putting the ball in your court. She's made her move and now she expects you to take it up a notch."

It played right into Maddox's already inflated ego.

"She's got quite a reputation," Walsh lied. "She'll act like she's not interested, but it's all just part of the game."

"Really?" Maddox said.

He had sensed there were some feelings there. He assumed it was attraction – he was too conceited to realise it was loathing.

And Maddox had no inkling of Data and Tasha's relationship.

Even Walsh thought Maddox was slimy. But using that was too great a temptation. Weaponising Maddox's own reputation as an aggressive lothario was perfect.

And given Maddox's relentless nature, sending him after that problematic Lieutenant Yar was as good as setting her up for trouble.

Walsh could tell he had Maddox hanging on his every word.

"Maybe it would be best if you backed off," Walsh said. "After all if the rumours from her Academy days are to be believed, she's insatiable."

-X-