Promises of Tomorrow

Author's Note: Holy shitsnacks Batman! We're halfway through this story.

Thank you for all your ongoing support. This is some pretty heavy material. Exploring Data's rights has always been one of the pivotal things that (IMHO) make Trek great.

And I really wanted to give it more oomph.

So the stakes are higher, we've dialled the drama up to eleven, and added a dash of romance.

With each chapter, we get a step closer to a big development in Data and Tasha's relationship.

We also get one step closer to Bruce Maddox's downfall...

This chapter is pretty heavy on the courtroom drama. It always struck me as odd that tests to determine sentience were excluded in the episode. Testing for sentience exists now (and has for some time). IMHO, a civilisation as advanced as the Federation would surely have such testing (and probably more advanced than us).

Enjoy! Thank you!

-X-

Data set his hairbrush down in front of the mirror. He turned his head side to side as he studied his appearance.

He glanced back at the dress uniform hanging on the hook on the wall.

Data had ensured it was freshly pressed from the garment processor. His boots were shined and ready for the hearing. Data had even cleaned his pips and combadge to ensure they were pristine.

Everything was perfect.

He sat down on the edge of the bed and sighed.

Perfect.

Data knew there was truth in Deanna's observation. Data spent so much time and effort to always be perfect. To act appropriately, to understand idioms, to emulate human fashion.

It was part of what drove him to art. It was an emotional release. Art also offered him the opportunity to experiment in ways that Data couldn't in the real world.

There was freedom in art – the same freedom he felt whenever he was alone with Tasha.

She didn't care when he practised jokes. She loved to watch him experiment with different hairstyles or try new foods. And Tasha was never judgemental about the way in which he processed emotion.

Data climbed into bed and stared at the ceiling.

It was unnervingly quiet.

He had grown accustomed to the sound of Tasha breathing. Now trying to sleep without it was like turning off a white noise machine.

Data turned to the side and ran his hand across Tasha's empty pillow.

He pulled it close and buried his face against it. He couldn't hold her, but he found solace in the familiar.

Though what he really wanted was to be held safe in the refuge of her arms.

-X-

"It's not going to eat itself," Riker commented as he looked down at Tasha's plate.

Her breakfast bowl sat untouched, and they were due to leave soon for Starbase 173.

Tasha stared down at the blueberries and granola in front of her. It was day three of no Data. What bothered Tasha most was the fact they were separated because of Maddox.

Tasha swore that she was going to find a way to hold him accountable for the trauma he inflicted on Data.

But despite her best efforts, Maddox had been far more cautious since their encounter in the lounge.