Chapter Seven: An Explanation

"She's a what?" 

I roll my eyes as Arthur's jaw drops in surprise. He stares across the small wooden table at the innocent eyed Iris, still amusing herself playing with the zipper on the side of her dress and not paying much attention to any of us. 

"A Cogheart. Weren't you listening?" I say exasperatedly. "I'm not explaining the whole damned story again today, I'm too tired." 

"I was listening. I'm just... holy fuck. I can't believe this is happening." 

"Neither can I, my friend," Ambrose mutters from the corner. I raise my eyebrows at her, but I don't say anything. 

"Isn't it cool?" Wesley grins enthusiastically, using his worn wooden ladle to tip the strange looking soup into our bowls. I have enough sense to smile weakly at his disastrous meal- but Ambrose isn't so courteous, and her nose wrinkles in distaste as he serves her up a bowl. "Wes. I know you put in the effort, but I think you're supposed to use meat that hasn't gone off by several decades." 

Iris, on the other hand, seems wholeheartedly grateful for her serving, thanking Wesley with the biggest smile I've seen from her today. Wesley's ears turn pink from the gratitude and he stutters a thank you, and even bends into a small bow that makes Arthur, Ambrose and I laugh out loud. 

I spoon a bit of soup into my mouth as Wesley seats himself at the far end of the table. Arthur is lapping up the soup from his spoon like a dog, with no emotions on his face to either spare Wesley's feelings or because he doesn't want the rest of us to know he enjoys it. It's sweet, the way he always tries to be gentle to Wesley in these little ways when he has little care for the consequences of his honesty or jokes with anyone else. 

I'll give Wes one thing- the soup isn't entirely revolting. He seems to have only seasoned it with salt and pepper, with a few drops of something spicy but not at all flavorful mixed in. There are a few nicely steamed vegetables mixed in, but the meat is chewy and lacks flavor, possibly out of date like Ambrose said. Not terrible, but not good in the slightest. I sigh. Wesley tries his best, but if I'm going to keep having to buy food from the street peddlers, I'm going to take him off kitchen duty permanently.  

Iris seems to be thoroughly enjoying her soup, spooning it into her mouth with care and even tucking her napkin into the front of her shirt like a dining patron. I snort audibly enough that Arthur hears me, but he simply gives me a little grin and doesn't say anything. 

"This is goofth!" she exclaims with a mouth full of soup.

"Does being a Cogheart also destroy your tastebuds?" Ambrose deadpans. Arthur has to put his hands in front of his mouth to keep himself from laughing and I let out an audible snort as Wesley shakes his head in annoyance. 

Iris smiles. "This is good. Thank you, er- I think your name was Wesley?" 

He nods proudly. "That's me. I'm glad you like it, it's... well it was sort of an on the fly special." 

Arthur nearly chokes. "On the fly?" 

"Yeah... is it not good?" Wesley asks concernedly. "If it's not, you can tell me. Trust me, SOME people make me well aware of my culinary shortcomings," he shoots a glare at Ambrose, who blows him a kiss. 

"No, no... it's so good for something made on the fly. That was what I was surprised about," Arthur says sheepishly, lying through his perfect teeth. "Know what I'm saying? Even if you're not too good on the whole 'follow the recipe' thing. Just follow your heart, feel me?" 

Wesley appears surprised, but smiles genuinely at his answer. "You're too sweet, Arthur." 

Arthur sighs in relief as Wesley turns to gather the bowls, most still half full though I've tried my best to finish at least half, just to be polite.