30

4 September, 2021
📍Zandvoort, The Netherlands

"B, I'm telling you, I think I'm in a slump!" Calina exclaimed, wincing as a drop of boiling water splashed out of one of the mugs. "Three terrible races, two DNFs."

"Are you hearing this right now?"

When she turned, both Bastien and Lewis were looking at her, grinning in amusement. Bastien shook his head, gladly accepting one of the mugs she set out in front of them. "You are funny, Calina."

"Two DNFs and you call that a slump." Lewis chuckled, taking a generous sip of the camomile tea she made him. "That's a pretty pathetic slump."

She looked back and forth between the two, not quite being able to believe the words coming out of their mouths. "You two are supposed to be helping. You know, some advice from some more experienced drivers. That would be nice!"

"Oh my god, how many times do we need to say! Everyone has bad runs," Bastien said. "You can't do anything about it, Calina."

"Besides, look at your performance in general," Lewis added. "You're doing better than majority of the others as a rookie. And with the pace you guys have had lately; it's a cause for concern for the rest of us."

"Max was being stupid at the meeting. You may not be going for number one, but you're in there for sure," he continued, placing their empty cups in the sink. "Could be in the top five, who knows, but you're definitely gonna make a statement, Cal."

Bastien squeezed her shoulder encouragingly. "Détends-toi. A few bad races is nothing, Calina."

"Exactly! I mean, look at your uncle. He spent the last 2 years of his career basically podium-less." Both the drivers dissolved into a fit of giggles.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

(P) Feeling good?

(C) Yeah, Melì. All good here. You?

(P) Good on our end, as well. . Push for this one, okay?

(C) To the limit?

(P) Of course. Have fun with it, Calì.

(C) I'll do my best, Melì.

For any driver, winning your home grand prix was possibly the greatest feeling ever. Dominating at the track, in a place where nearly all the fans attending adored you, were rooting for you; there was nothing else likely. It made sense that in Zandvoort, they would be greeted by a sea of orange, and Red Bull merchandise. It also made sense that Calina was going to be very disliked this weekend, especially seeing as how close she was to catching Max.

She had arrived at the Circuit Zandvoort to some dirty stares from some of the Dutch fans, although she did spot a small group of teenage girls sporting Pagani merch standing by the entry gates. It brought her some joy when she went to go talk to them and they freaked out in return.

But, the track was pleasant, to say the least. It had been years since Calina had last raced at Zandvoort, and it definitely took some time to get used to the banking and layout again, but they were back up to pace in no time.

(P) Track is clear. Head down, and go for it.

It doesn't do well to focus on the negativity. Calina remembered the last time she was racing here. It was 2017, and it was Bastien's first time being at a racing track after his retirement. It was not long before her race, and he was giving her one of his usual pep talks. Letting it all in can really fuck you up.