I

"Good afternoon, everyone. I am Professor Dane Jones. Welcome."

6 years. I've been at this college for 6 years, and this is finally the beginning of the end. My final couple of college courses have come and I couldn't be any happier. Anyone can tell you that college is not an easy task, but if I want to feel like I've accomplished something worthy in this life, I have to graduate.

I tune back in to what the professor is saying as he walks around the room handing out packets of paper. "I'll be taking attendance momentarily. Please say here or present once your name is called so we may just jump right in to the syllabus."

I grab my packet and begin flipping through it. I stop once I reach the section that explains the curriculum of the semester and I begin to transfer the lessons and due dates into my planner. I'm so close to the finish line, I can taste it. I won't let anything stop me from graduating and finally leaving this place.

"Janae Foster?" I hear my name being called.

I look up at the professor with a nod. "Present."

He proceeds to finish attendance and I continue my planning. The material seems simple enough at first glance, given that we have ample amount of time to finish each assignment. Once I'm done writing down everything, I glance at the hard copy and sigh silently. Of course the second week in, we have a partnered assignment. I want to just get all my work done early, turn it in, and not have to interact with anybody in this class. They'll only slow me down.

The professor's voice is muffled as he goes through the syllabus, wasting his breath because we can just read the shit on our own time and get to work. He pauses, causing most of the class to  turn their attention to the disturbance. A man walks into the room, backpack slung over his shoulder.

The professor sighs, handing him a packet. "I believe you are the last one left on my list to make this a full class. We're going through the syllabus currently. You may find a seat."

"I apologize for my tardiness. Thank you."

The man starts making his way to the back of the room where there's an empty seat. I happen to make eye contact as he walks by and, for whatever reason, I'm not able to look away. His eyes are round and soft, yet his gaze is sharp and intense.  Those brown spectacles pierce whatever walls I have up and I feel almost unguarded. From just a stare. Once he is out of eye shot, I shake my head quickly and focus back on getting my planner in order.

Whatever that was that happened, it doesn't end, much to my displeasure. I feel eyes on me through out the entirety of the class. I do my best to pay attention as the focus has shifted onto the first assignment, but I'm itching to move out of view from the male staring at me. I have to turn to put something away in my bag and I sneak a glimpse to the back of the room while doing so. I'm tripping, right? No. Of course, my suspicions are correct as I make eye contact yet again with this dude. What is up with him?

"Okay," the professor says as I turn back around and give my attention to the man at the forefront of the room. "We'll call it a day. Remember, this is a Monday-Wednesday-Friday class. I will see you all Wednesday. Make sure to have the first assignment complete."

I don't waste time as I scoop up my bag and am one of the first ones out of the door. Once I'm out, I exhale sharply as I walk away from the room. Everything was going fine until homeboy came in late and decided to melt a hole in my damn head. He definitely distracted me, and it's rather annoying. I don't know his name, nor was I even able to fully look at his face. My main focus was on his eyes. There's just something about them. Brown eyes are always so subtle, warm, and inviting. His, however, are intense. His eyes are so cold, yet so intoxicating. It was hard as hell for me to look away from them; even with the short amount of time that I've had to look at them.

"Weird shit." I mumble to myself as I make my way out of the building and start on my way back to my dorm, still feeling that odd feeling of being watched.

The air feels nice against my skin, the perfect day for walking to finally begin working on my fitness. However, I'd much rather go home and get some work done so I can just sleep. I've had a rough college career, and have had to sacrifice alot to get to where I am. My physical and mental health started to decline and I gained more than the freshmen 15. I gained way too much weight, and the heavy burden of depression. Everything will be okay once this semester is over, though. I just need to claim it.

"It's yours." I hear, coming out like a loud whisper in my ear.

I gasp, quickly whipping myself around but seeing no one in sight. I'm startled, feeling like I'm going crazy. First, that guy staring at me. Then, feeling as though I'm still being watched, and now hearing things? No one is around.

I move quickly, nearly running, wanting to get back to my room as fast as possible. I slow down, trying to catch my breath as I see my building vastly approaching. A sigh of relief leaves my body and all the tension just melts away. All I can think about doing is getting inside and relaxing. Today has just been weird. This is going to be a long ass semester.

~~