Fourteen

After she was shown to her room, Faryn found herself wandering. She couldn't sit still with only her thoughts to keep her company.

She came upon a set of double doors, and she cracked open one, peering inside. Books lined the walls. Most of the spines were in shades of red, brown, and green.

She stepped inside, shutting the door behind her. Spaced between the shelves were portraits. She only recognized one Acurial. In it Aurelius was depicted solemn, his dark eyes staring out at her. He was dressed in all black like earlier, the background he was set against a mix of red and black. The painting itself looked ancient, the colors muted.

Turning away from it, she studied the other portraits more closely now. They must be of previous Krampus. There was a slight similarity to the men—in their mouths and jaws, all with a determined set to them. None had Aurelius's eyes even if they had the color. There was something wicked in his, something tantalizing as if beckoning her to reach out her hand and step into the portrait.

She backed away, rubbing at her arms. She had thought Aurelius was different, but he had chosen the side that offered him the most power. Now it made sense why he had always found ways to dodge her requests to visit Sleet City.

She wiped furiously at the tears that had surfaced.

The sound of music broke her from her thoughts. She listened closely, her ears picking up the soft notes of a piano and beyond that the sound of water trickling.

She stepped back out into the hall, following the sound a few doors down to where it grew louder. She cracked the door open and peered into what appeared to be an auditorium though there was no stage or curtain. Rows of benches descended the steps that led to the floor where a floor to ceiling window displayed a stone wall that water trickled down.

Between the benches and window was a black piano, at which Aurelius sat playing what sounded like a lullaby. The music was sad, longing lying in its notes.

She stepped fully inside and shut the door softly. Aurelius didn't look up; his playing didn't falter. The room was dim, the only light coming from tall candelabras that were the height of her.

As she descended the steps, she saw that Aurelius's eyes were closed, but there hadn't been one note that was off. He must have played this piece many times then.

It wasn't until she was beside him that the music stopped, and he dragged his hands away from the keys, bringing his eyes up to meet hers. They stayed that way for what felt like minutes. Her heart felt broken and here was the one responsible for it. She could feel her throat tightening, tears running over her cheeks, but she kept all sobs locked inside her. She might not be able to hide her tears, but she wouldn't let him see the full depths of her sorrow.

"Faryn," he murmured.

Turning away from him, she faced the window, watching as the water made its way over the stones, and crossed her arms.

The piano bench creaked as he stood, and she felt his presence behind her, could see the ghost of his reflection in the window.

"Why?"

"Neither of us are normal Acurials."

"If you're going to say that means we sometimes have to make decisions we don't like then you can save your breath."

"I want to help you, Faryn. Ata, I wish I could."

"But Klaus is more important." She rubbed her arms. "I need to find my mom, Nick. Isn't that important?"

"You aren't looking for Nick though."

"Once I find my mom and know she's safe, I don't see how I have any choice but to find him. Winter's content pointing their finger at me, and I can't say it doesn't make sense. I was there. I had the motive."

"I haven't heard anything about your mother other than that your brother has her somewhere safe."

"She wouldn't go into hiding, not when she knows I'm in danger."

"Faryn . . ." He hesitated. "You don't really know your mother."

It was if a bolt of fire went through her. She spun around and shoved her palms against his chest. "Don't say that."

"It's the truth. You can't assume because you're her daughter that you're her priority."

She trembled, the contents of her stomach threatening to climb up her throat. How could he say these things to her? How could Aurelius be this cruel?

"I hate you."

He flinched.

If the world wanted her to be alone then fine, she would be, and she'd make it regret it's wish.

When Aurelius said nothing, she stepped around him, headed for the door. His hand latched around her arm, jerking her to a halt. She gritted her teeth, letting out a clipped growl; his grip was tight enough that it wouldn't be surprising if bruises bloomed by tomorrow.

"Do you think this is easy for me? Do you think I enjoy watching you flounder? Do you think I like it when you suffer or that I take power from your fear?"

"A pity. You may as well take advantage of the situation."

He released her as if she had burned him, drawing his hand back and tightening it into a fist. His eyes darkened. "You wouldn't have much power to offer me."

It was as if he had slapped her.

She stumbled back, jaw trembling as she tried to maintain some semblance of composure. "I don't need you." But it was clear even Aurelius saw it for what it was: a lie. She wanted to scream. She wanted to kick him. None of it would take away the vicious ache in her chest though.

So she did the only thing she could. She fled before her first friend could see her break because of him.

So this scene was one of the last ones I wrote when I was editing the book. I really wanted a chance to show more of Aurelius and Faryn together, and I also wanted the opportunity to expand on his home more before they go searching for Mother Nature.