Thirty-Two

When Faryn awoke, it was to a dark room, and on her first inhale since she opened her eyes, Cassian's scent filled her.

She rolled onto her other side and found Cassian's back to her, his body as close to the edge as the bed would allow without falling off. She hated that it made her stomach tighten. His breathing was relaxed, steady. He had to be asleep.

What had he spoken about with Klaus? Was his mother aware that he was here? Was someone already on their way for him?

But the questions would have to wait.

Morpheus's sands claimed her once more.

*****

Breakfast was delivered by the Snow Maiden, Peter at her side. A few pieces of bread and two bowls of porridge. Peter barely had the chance to say a few words to them before the Snow Maiden made them leave.

When Faryn had awoken that morning, Cassian had been awake and seated in a chair across the room staring at a different landscape painting. His only acknowledgement of her had been a nod.

The first time he had spoken was when Peter had been in the room, and that was to insist the Snow Maiden ate some of their food to make sure it wasn't poisoned, which she refused, and Peter let them know that he had helped prepare it.

A part of her was relieved by his coldness. She hadn't been sure how to act around him, but not acknowledging that his mouth had been on her neck made things easier, even if she could hardly chase the thoughts from her mind.

They both sat down at the small table to eat their breakfast. It felt as if his magic was reaching across the table, wrapping around her. But that was only her imagination. If Cassian was using his magic on her, she'd see it. But still that invisible force was almost strong enough to make words fall from her lips, so she swallowed them down with a spoonful of porridge.

Was it that Cassian was ashamed of what had happened or had Klaus told him something? Maybe he realized there was no hope of saving her. She couldn't blame him if that was the reason.

No sooner had they both finished their meal than the door opened revealing Peter and Clíodhna accompanied by Moroz and the Snow Maide. Had Harumi and Ziva already departed?

"Both of you are needed," the Snow Maiden said. "Cassian, your mother's ambassador has arrived, and Klaus wants to see you, Faryn."

Cassian had never told her what he and Klaus had spoken of last night.

The Fata was taken in one direction, while Peter and Moroz led Faryn to a dining room where her bother sat at the end of the very long table alone.

"Sister."

"Hardly."

Klaus's lips twitched and not in a smile. "Sit." He motioned to the chair nearest her at the opposite end of the table from him. Iron cuffs were attached to the armrests. Two Elves outside the door held Peter back while Moroz forced her to sit. Though she struggled, she was no match for him, and he cuffed her wrists to the chair before taking his leave. The doors clanged shut behind him.

Between her and Klaus, the table was spread with food. None of which she could partake in with her wrists bound. At least she had been allowed to eat beforehand.

Klaus examined her. "You have some of the Morozko hair."

"Much to Jack's dismay."

This time his lips did seem to hint at a smile. "That sounds like our cousin." His expression sobered. "You know I had always wanted to meet you."