c!dream birthday fluff :D

Dream had never thought of his birthday as anything special. It wasn't some grand event. He usually just spent the day with his friends, and (reluctantly) accepted their gifts (it's not like he'd done anything to deserve them, it was just a birthday).

He even forgot his 21st birthday, having been far too busy with L'Manburg and everything happening there.

He missed his 22nd birthday as well. He'd tried to keep track of time, if only to keep his sanity, but after he lost the clock it became impossible, and it passed like any other day.

Dream expected to let his 23rd pass much the same. Who would celebrate him anyway? The people who wanted him dead?

His brooding was interrupted by a beep from his communicator. It was Punz.

Punz: my tower , quick ! (nothing happened dw I just have something for you)

It wasn't unusual for one of the two to call for a meeting, and Dream didn't think much of it. He quickly made his way to Punz's tower and climbed the ladder.

Punz was waiting for Dream, they were hiding something behind their back.

"You probably hate that I'm about to do this-" Punz started.

Dream was confused.

"But happy birthday!" Punz held out a tray with two cupcakes, the frosting spelling out "23", and one of them having a tiny candle pushed into it.

"I know I'm not the best baker, but I did taste the batter and it seemed okay, even though you probably shouldn't eat batter, I think it's bad for you, or som-"

Dream ended Punz's rambling by enveloping them in a rare hug, careful to not damage the cupcakes.

"Thank you, Punz"

The two sat by the window, looking out over the server, enjoying the cupcakes. They were a bit dry, and there were some clumps of flour, but they were good because Punz made them.

They talked, catching up, telling funny stories, teasing. Dream almost felt like himself again, like before L'Manburg.

"Oh, I have one more thing for you!" Punz suddenly remembered.

Dream opened his mouth to protest.

"Shut! I want to give you a birthday present, now close your eyes" Punz commanded.

Dream sighed, but did as told. He heard Punz get up and rummage through a chest before sitting back down next to Dream.

Dream felt something cold around his neck, and almost flinched, but managed to stay still. It was only Punz, after all.

"You can look now"

Dream opened his eyes. Around his neck was now a pendant, identical to Punz's but with Dream's signature smile etched into the back. Next to it hung a totem.

"So I can protect you, even when I'm not with you" Punz explained.

If a few tears were shed that day, no one else had to know.