𝟭𝟬 - 𝗧𝗥𝗔𝗜𝗧𝗢𝗥𝗦 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗟𝗜𝗔𝗥𝗦

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗘𝗡
𝗧𝗥𝗔𝗜𝗧𝗢𝗥𝗦 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗟𝗜𝗔𝗥𝗦

𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗥𝗔𝗜𝗧𝗢𝗥𝗦 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗟𝗜𝗔𝗥𝗦

𝟭𝟵𝟴𝟲

'Romance is a tragedy.'

Church bells rang in the distance. If one listens carefully, one can hear the sounds of singing begin. Not too far from the chapel, a 15-year-old girl sat across the steps of a small house, her green eyes watching the church with hidden grief. She was an oddity to the locals for as long as they'd known her.

Footsteps approached her, careful not to upset her. A teenage girl who was only a year older sat beside her quietly. It was only she who could witness the personification of karma in such a vulnerable state.

"Evelina would have wanted you to celebrate her memories, not mourn her death after four years."

"I'm not mourning. I'm thinking," Karma countered, vibrant eyes flickering down. Her green strands of hair brushed wildly against her skin as she turned to face her friend - Cecilia. She looked her friend up and down. She wore long dark braids and chunky jewelry, and she wore them proudly because Karma told her so. Despite her wishes, CeCe stood out in their discriminating area, but Karma had always encouraged her strongly. But on the anniversary of Evelina's death, the woman who took the two girls in, Karma Zeppeli's smile was gone. "You don't mourn."

"I did, but you know... Evelina and I had conflicting ideas. She didn't love me as much as she loved you," she murmured. At meeting Karma's blank look, she quickly tried to apologize. "I mean, she's amazing! I just-"

"It's fine. I agree. Evelina wouldn't have liked me either if she knew me better," she sighed calmly. She always attracted people with rotten morals, yet her heart would never let them go. That's why she treasured the few she knew had good intentions.

"Why don't we go away? Just the two of us," the 16-year-old asked her companion, hopeful. She always was a child at heart. CeCe leaned closer to her. Her deep irises were as dark as the good earth below them, and just as a flower needs soil, Karma needed her. CeCe continued, stammering, "Sardinia - It- It's where Evelina was from. Maybe it'll help-"

"I can't leave them," she interrupted, making her falter.

"Karma, they're not weak. Your- Our gang can handle themselves. And besides, you need a break," Cecilia sighed. She gently took Karma's rough hands into her soft brown ones. "And I'll be there, right by your side. Always."

"Why?"

"Because... I'm your friend." Cecilia smiled as she met Karma's gaze. But the girl's following words made the lovesick teen's heart drop.

"You're such a liar."

'Yes, romance is a tragedy,' Cecilia thought.

❛ ━━━━━━・❪ ❁ ❫・━━━━━━ ❜