What Lies Beneath: Chapter 1

Hello fellow writers and readers! What you are about to read or have already and just missed this note, is one of the first ever works of mine that I am actually willing to share to receive comments and criticism! So please, do help me get feedback! The more I get, the more likely I will be to continue to post chapters! :) Thank you! It's not bribing, I simply lose interest and motivation easily, and you guys help me keep it up! Thank you! All characters, plot, everything is created by me and mine alone. Enjoy!

I continued on my way towards the Grand Hall. The crisp and cool night air bit at my exposed skin, goosebumps covering my arms. It was serenely peaceful. The lanterns lit the way like little beacons of guidance, and the starry sky above gave the city an even more regal appearance.

As I approached the palace, columns loomed over head. Ornate, ivory carvings decorated the royal walls, and the moon was reflected off the polished tiles beneath my feet.

I paused in front of the large double doors that stood before me, guarded by two knights. They remained motionless like statues before bowing before me.

“The Lord expects you. Proceed.”

The iron doors creaked open, allowing me to enter. The fire lit hall glowed amber. The stone, white walls painted with a red tinge as the flames danced high above in the golden chandeliers. I kept my gaze ahead of me where the royal throne stood. With a bright flicker of a flame, I could make out the face of Lord Engel—ruler of Vangaard. The City of Angels. His wings remained furled behind him, and his posture was that of one you would expect from royalty.

Though he appeared emotionless, I could catch the smallest glimpse of fear in his eyes. It was at that moment that I knew this meeting involved the utmost importance.

Kneeling before his feet, I cast my eyes down to the ground. My reflection was easily visible, as was the suspicion in my blue eyes.

“You need not kneel before me, Baleon,” the Lord's voice reached my ears in the silence of the room, and I rose to my feet. I did not say anything, but only awaited intently for him to reveal his concern.

Lord Engel stood from his chair, walking down the steps of the throne and pausing before me.

“Follow me,” he stated, his tone containing the faintest hint of urgency. We walked briskly down the hall, the iron doors opening for us to exit.

“My Lord, why was I called here?” I inquired, my suspicions only growing at the Lord's refusal to answer. I picked up my pace to keep up with him, a small wind ruffling the white feathers of my wings. I tucked them close to my back, trying to avoid the cold as best as I could.

We continued on in unnerving silence, and I couldn't help but feel unsettled by all of it. It really wasn't like him to be so cryptic—nor so nervous and stressed. I caught the eyes of several passing civilians, each bowing respectfully before their Lord. It was as if Engel's uneasiness was infectious, for each passing angel seemed to tighten in uncertainty and hurry off. They seemed keen on avoiding us, probably noting the clearly troubled expression of their leader.

“Lord Engel, I do not mean to be a bother, but I must ask again, what is it that is so important?”

“I cannot say, Baleon. Not here.”

His hushed answer was enough to hinder any further questions I had at the moment, though the irking sensation in the back of my mind was not completely satisfied. I merely acknowledged his wish with a dip of my head as I averted my attention to our destination. It appeared as though we were making our way towards the Haven. It was a holy place, used mainly for blessing ill souls and soldiers that were to be sent to war. Although it served a great many purposes, I could not comprehend the reason as to why we were going there.