Volume 2 Chapter 1: Smoke & Mirrors

Previously: Lucy moved out into her own apartment, Alex and Grant met her coworkers and friends during the New Year party. And also they found out what happened between her and the director. They all felt disgusted and comforted her dearly.

Lucy was all ready to go back to work. She wasn't a fan of being lazy, she wanted to get back to work as soon as possible. She didn't have many hobbies so she was considered a workaholic by her coworkers. They weren't excited at all to return to work. Lucy headed out of the house with peanut butter and jelly sandwich in one hand and her house keys in the other. She walked towards her car in the apartments garage. She plugged in her phone and dialed Grant's number. "Hey there, Lucy. Good morning, today is the day huh?" "Yeah, I'm excited to get back to work. I was going crazy at home just doing nothing but playing games." "You really are a strange one. Most people don't like the idea of work." "What kind I say, I'm just like my dad. You mentioned me he that he was a workaholic as well." Grant chuckled softly amused by her words,"Indeed. You've got me there, he was wasn't one to sit around and do nothing. Relaxing wasn't his thing, like father like daughter. How about that  You Lucy are one and the same. Just like your old man." She giggled softly as she blushed lightly. "I guess." Grant was cooking in his kitchen while they were talking, she was on speaker. She was driving to work. "So I was wondering when you want to learn more about cooking from me?" "How about this weekend. I should be back by then knowing the world we are living in. As soon as I get into work there's probably another person to hunt down and arrest." "That's fine, just let me know and I'll come up with a game plan." "Alright! Sounds like fun, I enjoy learning from you. Well I need to focus on driving, talk to you later Grant!" "Later, Lucy."

Grant has been teaching her how to cook a few things every so often. But this upcoming weekend he was going to teach her things that are much easier to prepare for the mornings before work. She was very sheltered and treated as child for most of her life. She knows nothing about cooking and taking care of yourself without guidance. She was okay with just making ramen and ordering takeout but he insisted on helping her out. She caved and accepted the support reluctantly at first. But after a few sessions his support seemed like a blessing more than a burden.

Lucy went into the elevator of her work building and went up to 15th floor. As soon as she walked out of the doors she spotted her team talking and they looked very serious. It seemed her first day back wasn't going to be as easy going as she wanted. But she had a feeling that something like this was going to happen. Reality isn't as forgiving or easy going as video games or fiction stories is, it's usually cruel and unfortunate.

Lucy greeted her coworkers with high spirits. They looked stressed and grim, they envied her current energy and positive attitude. They told her the run down of information as they headed towards the airport together.

The Plague Doctor aka Nilus Allen. A French most wanted criminal that showed up on a security camera entering the states of Texas a few days ago. The disappearance of important political people happened right after his arrival. A few show up dead in bolted shut coffins with a list of crimes written in their own blood on the outside. Apparently they were all corrupted and covered up many things with their dirty money. But that's not why they've been tasked to come to Texas with post haste. Mayor Raymond's life was threatened by his car being blown up. He's the next target by this particularly dangerous serial killer. And it's their job to protect the Mayor and arrest the criminal before the second election happens. And to that happened they have figure out why he was been targeted, alongside the rest of the politicians.

They all arrived at the police station but the captain was no where to be seen. Apparently he was going to be late to work or something. He said something about personal home problems, that's understandable things like that happened to all of us. The staff and people close to the dead politicians were already in the waiting room. Lucy and Sarah branched off from the guy's and approached the two interview rooms. Adam reviewed their bodies and coffins with written messages.  While Zachary accessed the victim's computers and devices to find something to search for leads.