Chapter-5

I was sitting in my room, reading a book when Aariz dashed in.

He beckoned me, saying, 'I still have to examine some things in Rigel's room. Come with me.'

We walked along the corridor to reach Mr Rigel's room. Aariz produced a key from his pocket which he had apparently claimed from the Inspector.

On entering the room, we found it as it is except for the body which had been removed.

Aariz immediately crossed the room to the dressing table and began sifting through the drawers. Presently, he stood up, turned to me and said, 'I want you to do something for me, my boy. I want you to lie down on this bed and try to simulate the position in which Rigel was lying when you found him.'

I did as he said and tried to forget that this was the same bed on which a person was murdered. I put my head slightly tilted on the pillow and twisted my right leg a bit, trying to mimic Mr Rigel's position.

'Here, this can work as the weapon.' Aariz said, pulling a penknife out of his pocket. I dangled my left hand off the side of the bed and reached out with the right one to take the knife. But at the last moment, Aariz pulled his hand back with an unexpected exclamation.

'Yes! This is it.' He cried. 'I've got it. It's immaculate. Get up, dear boy. Your impersonation helped a lot.'

I was eager to know what had occurred to him, so I said, 'Tell me what it is.'

'No. Not right now. But I will tell you this-I understand now what was off beam with the knife.'

This statement did nothing to supress my curiosity instead it heightened it. But I knew that Aariz wouldn't budge.

Aariz locked the door behind him when we came out and said, 'Now we have to do an experiment.

'An experiment?'

'Yes. The Basils have to be tested.'

He led me down the stairs and into the living room where Daniel was sat, watching the television. We were nearing him when all of a sudden Aariz bumped roughly into me, sending me stumbling forward. The remote fell from Dawid's fingers as his right hand shot out to steady me.

'Oh! Are you alright?' He asked me worriedly as I sat down beside him.

I nodded my head dazedly, my mind still registering from the tumble.

'I'm so sorry, my boy.' Aariz said, looking not even slightly apologetic instead, pleased with himself.

'I think I'm getting old, bumping into you like that.'

I repressed my anger at him and let it pass for the moment by saying, 'It's alright.'

'So, Mr Tijan,' Dawid spoke up, 'have you made any progress with the case?'

'Oh, yes I have. I found a clue recently.'

'Really? What is it?'

'I would like to keep it to myself till the appropriate time, Mr Dawid.' Aariz said tactfully.

Dawid looked annoyed but he didn't push the matter. Just then, Ariana stumbled into the room, a shawl wrapped around her tiny shoulders. She nodded at Aariz and me in acknowledgement and said to her husband, 'I'm ready, dear. Let's go.'

'We are going out for a walk in the park.' Dawid enlightened us as he stood up. We nodded and the husband and wife exited the room, hand in hand.

I straightaway turned to Aariz and said vehemently, 'Was it necessary to do that?'

'Do what?' He said innocently.