Chapter-6

'Methanol poisoning.' Inspector Matin was saying. 'There were light traces. It turned into formaldehyde. That was the reason why his head was swelled, not because of hitting it on the bedpost or something. He must have gone through severe abdominal pain.'

I noticed Sarah cringing at that and Dawid held his head in his hands

'But why would someone poison him and then stab him too?' I asked as Mary brought Matin a cup of coffee and some biscuits.

'After murder, reality sets in and an unprofessional criminal may get disoriented. That is the time the murderer ineptly leaves clues. Perhaps, the person got scared that Mr Basil would start making some noise as he was going through so much pain, so he or she stabbed him to finish it all. That was a very careless act on their part.'

Sarah abruptly stood up and went up the stairs. She couldn't bear all this any longer, I guess. Or was that a performance too? I really didn't know that because candidly, I no longer trusted a single person in this house. It was clear that the murderer was a person present among us, in this very house. That thought sent a shiver down my spine.

'To sum it all up,' said Aariz, 'the murder was unforeseen and spontaneous.'

'Yes, that's it.' Inspector said. 'Maybe that might help us.'

'I'm here with a search warrant. We need to search the whole house for any clues.' Inspector said as Sergeant entered with two more policemen. 'May we start right now?'

'Yes, of course. There is no point in delaying,' Dawid said.

The policemen dispersed. The next hour and a half was tense as anyone barely spoke. The policemen marched around the house, examining every article thoroughly. They spent extra time in the kitchen, smelling and taking samples.

At last, Inspector Matin returned to us and said, 'There is a shed in the backyard. We need to check that too. Can I have the key please?'

'The key? I do remember having it.' Dawid said. 'Now, where did I keep it?'

He strained to remember for a few minutes.

'It's okay.' The Inspector said. 'You can inform us when you are able to recall where you kept it. I would like to ask you a few questions.' Dawid nodded at him to continue.

'Did your father indulge in alcohol consumption?'

'Certainly not, Inspector.' Dawid replied immediately. 'Why do you ask?'

'Because methanol poisoning is usually due to alcohol consumption. But we believe you because we did not find any traces of liquor in this house. Tell me, what did he eat after dinner?'

'That can be answered by Mary.' Dawid replied and called out to the maid.

When Mary appeared, the question was repeated for her.

'After dinner, sir?' She said. 'I went to give him his cup of coffee that he desired before retiring to bed, but I gather that he did not drink.'

'Inspector Matin nodded. 'Yes, that is so. We have taken a sample of that coffee to test for any hint of poison. What did Mr Basil have for dinner that night, Mary?'

'As far as I can remember sir, he had baked potatoes and peas followed by a bowl of chicken soup.'

'Are you sure that was all? He didn't have anything between tea and dinner, did he?'

'No sir. I'm sure he didn't.'

'Where did he eat his dinner?'

'In his room, sir.'