Chapter 2: Crystal Shards

That evening, the skies were streaked with blood.

Most Euran sunsets were like that, with mixed shades of orange, gold, pink, and a slight tint of purple. It often reminded Svanhilde Vinderstörm of the canvas found primarily in Amaya;covered in colors, at first seeming like nonsense, but as one looked at the whole picture, it was just one big masterpiece.

She often compared her own life to the painted canvas, all confusing when looking at all the parts. However even a glance if the full picture still held confusion. Nothing in her life made any sense. Pieces not fully fitting together, or some not even matching the story at all.

She was told as a young child of how her parents had died. Only leaving her their last name, and nothing else. She knew there had to be more to the story. Sure, several citizens who were fleeing Eura had been killed, but they had spirit animals.

Svanhilde's parents had none.

Of course she never fully knew her parents, seeing as they died when she was at a very young age, leaving her in the care of a retired assassin, Trygve, who raised her. There was no real reason to find out what happened to them besides bringing peace to mind, well as much peace as you can find from finding out how your birth parents died.

Her search had started months earlier. She had been on an assassination, seeking to hunt a man who had been avoiding a debt. After finding him in a small fishing village in Arctica, she had stumbled upon records from the day her parents had died.

After tracing the records to several orders of deployment and purchases of ammunition, she had finally located a solid lead on what happened that day.

It had brought her to Nymeria, a northern Euran settlement, home to one of the most respected commanders in the Euran army.

The city was a beautiful location, with a vast amount of residence, trademark pastries and truffles, and architecture that was intuitive to what Svana had always imagined cities in Eura looked several centuries before. The building walls had a beautiful yet faded out color that primarily looked red with hints of orange in the mix. Most of the rooftops had a darker color, almost like a dark maroon, with the color faded to the point of being much more bland. The window frames were a fresh white, contrasting the darker colors.

The buildings themselves were fairly tall, each having at least three levels to each, and small alleyways located down every three homes. She had seen several towns and settlements throughout Eura, none as beautiful or unique as Nymeria.

The city was also one of the last to be governed by a noble family. Following the other trends found across Eura, the name of the city was shared with the family. The Nymeria's had settled the town, and had been fair with their ruling and economic choices. Leaving them unscathed from the purge of nobility in the continent.

The family's manor was located on a hill overlooking the rest of the city. Though not a clear view from every spot, it was recognizable due to its aged copper roofing, and several spires.

That would be where Svana would find the next color to her canvas, a missing piece of her past.

She couldn't strike quite yet, the fortress was sure to have high security as a large ball would be taking place, and the family did not want to risk any issues with assassination attempts, or flaws.

She could have come later, when tension would be less, and security not as prominent, however she needed to get a better glimpse of what Svana was dealing with.

The city, unlike others she had visited, had little to no one on the streets. Svana had gotten so used to so much happening, people on the streets at this time, and the several parties, it was quite peaceful, and a bit...