four

Jeremy stands in the doorway. He's crying. He looks at Vance and his face instantly shifts from sad to angry. "What's he doing here, Anna?" His voice is stiff and hoarse.

"I... Jeremy..." I can't think of any words. Fuck. Of all the essays I've written for school I can't think of anything?!

Vance stands up. His jaw and fists are clenched.

It's obvious that Jeremy is afraid. I want to tell him that he shouldn't be, that I wouldn't let Vance lay a finger on him. I want to ask him why he'd been crying. I want to talk to him like the good sister I'd hardly been.

We all stand in silence. I stare from Vance to Jeremy. Vance is glaring daggers at Jeremy. My brother is staring at both of us, stunned.

The crickets outside the window are loud and somewhat calming. I stand up from the bed and take Jeremy's arm. We walk to his room and close the door.

"Anna. What is he doing in your room? What is he doing within six feet of you? Why are you speaking to him? Why are you two breathing the same air?"

"Jeremy... he had no choice."

"Oh, I'll give him a fucking choice."

"What does that even mean?"

"It means I'm gonna call Mom and Dad and tell them what you've been up to," He threatens.

"You do that and I'll tell them all about Vanessa."

"Fuck you, Anna."

"Whatever, Jeremy."

"You saw what he did to me and Gale. He's dangerous. He can hurt you, and I mean seriously hurt you. I won't let that happen."

"Oh, piss off. He won't try anything, I'm sure of it."

"Oh yeah?" Jeremy crosses his arms. "You know him well, then, don't you?"

"Not really but-"

"Anna, he needs to leave now."

"No," I say. It comes out harsher than intended.

"You're such a fucking idiot. I thought you were a good kid. Now you're sneaking some guy in because he wants to smash?"

"He does not want to-"

"You're pathetic. I thought you were smarter than this, I really did," He runs a hand through his hair. "Fuck! Of all people? You're choosing him over Gale?"

"Yes. I am. You can't control who I can love and not." I pause. "Not that I love him. Because... Because I don't!

"You're right, but what I can do is try to talk some fucking sense into you."

"Try all you want. He's not leaving. End of story." I try to walk away but he grabs my wrist.

"Anna, please. Just get him out of my house."

"You can't just be gone all day, everyday and then come home and give me orders, it's not that simple."

Hee studies my face. I look him in the eyes. He's thinking. "I don't know what to say."

"Don't say anything," I shrug. "Listen, Jeremy. There's nothing going on between us. I swear. I'm not like that, you know it."

He thinks long and hard. Jeremy is really soft and light-hearted but he's not easy to persuade into anything. He's not friendly like that. I can't even convince him to let me practice driving with his car in the mall parking lot.

"Just be careful," He says finally. He ruffles my hair. "I love you, Anna Banana."

"Love you too." I smile gratefully. "Thank you. This means a lot. I owe you."