five

After school I get a ride home from Jeremy to have some extra time when I get home to get dressed up.

I look through all of the clothes in my closet. It's only 3pm but I have so many dresses to go through. My eyes lock on a knee-length white dress with spaghetti straps. There's lace wrapped around the top. Maybe too much for a first date.

That's what this is, right? A first date?

I push the dress down the rack. I'm met with a long-sleeve floral dress. The bottom seems it could reach down to my ankles. What, am I going to the drive-in or mass?

Another dress. Red with white buttons and a white collar. It's knee length. I push it back against the rest. It seems like something I'd wear to school.

Before I know it, an hour passes.

A knock on my window pulls me away from my closet. I'm not surprised to be met with Vance. I open the window.

"I have a door."

"I saw your brother's car parked out front. Didn't wanna puncture another rib."

"That's so not funny."

He climbs in and I shut the window behind him. I'm not stunned to see him but I am surprised to see that the old oak tree supported his weight.

He notices the dresses laid out on my bed.

"Going somewhere?" He raises a brow.

"I narrowed it down to three, exactly. Which one do you think is the nicest?" I ask.

"Depends on the occasion," his hard eyes meet with mine.

I sigh. "A date."

His eyes tear away from mine. "Huh." He runs his hand over the light blue dress with ruffles around the edges of the skirt.

He shakes his head and points at it. "You'd look like a cupcake. Unless that's the look you're going for, I'd suggest the pink one." His voice is hard and stiff.

"What about the yellow one?"

"You'd look like a piss stain," he grunts.

I grab the dress and shove it in my trash can. "You're right."

I look at Vance. "Wait, sorry. Why'd you come?"

He sits on the bed and shrugs. "Just thought I'd say hi but clearly you're busy." He crosses his arms. "Who's the lucky guy?"

I frown. "No. You'll kill me."

"Maybe I will. Who's the guy?"

Vance is standing now. He's getting close in my face, towering over me like we're about to fight.

"No, Vance." I murmur.

"Anna."

"Vance."

He pauses to think for a moment. "Is it that Bruce?"

I try to keep my expression blank. "No."

He grins but it's not a real smile. "Why are you lying to me, Anna?"

"I'm not."

He laughs but his heart isn't in it. "You're such a bad liar."

"Okay. So what if I am going out with him? It's none of your concern or your business. Get out."

"I just don't understand why you'd lie."

"To make sure you don't beat the absolute crap out of him."

"Hm. And you think I would do that, why?"