Chapter 1

On the 12th hour of the first day of October 1989, 44 women around the world gave birth. This was unusual only in the fact that none of these women had been pregnant when the day first began. Sir Reginald Hargreeves, eccentric billionaire and adventurer, resolved to locate and adopt as many of the children as possible.

He got Eight of them.

Number 1 Luther.

Number 2 Diego.

Number 3 Allison.

Number 4 Klaus.

Number 5

Number 6 Ben.

Number 7 Vanya.

and

Number 8 Riley.

Luther was strong, Diego was an excellent fighter, Allison could manipulate others by saying the words 'I heard a rumor', Klaus could communicate with the dead, Ben could grow tentacles from his body and Five could do spacial jumps.

And Riley could turn invisible and create a protective shield around themself and others.

~~

It was an ordinary day, or at least as ordinary as a day at the Umbrella Academy could be.

It was midday and the children were busy with all sorts of things. Klaus and Ben tried to find out what burned better, paper or pillow. Allison and Luther sat together in the courtyard and Diego practiced stuttering less.

Riley was in their room drawing on their canvas.

They weren't alone in the room.

Julien was in their shoulder. Julien was the little gray mouse who had taken up residence in Riley's room.

And -more important- Five was with them. He sat down on their bed, legs crossed and a book on his lap.

All Riley knew was that it was a book about time travel.

Five had told them that he wanted to try time-jumping. He said he was ready for it. Riley had doubts. Not because they didn't trust him, it was because they were worried.

If Five wasn't careful, he could and up somewhere in the past or future and run into trouble.

What if he couldn't go home after that?

Then he would be alone, not knowing what to do. Without his family.

When Five told them of their concerns, he promised them he would not travel alone.

Riley had decided to paint a landscape with a small lake. The thirteen-year-old picks up the brush to paint the ripples.

The comfortable stillness of the room was broken when the young teens heard a chime telling them dinner was ready.

But this lunch was going to be anything but ordinary.

The teenagers waited until Reginald Hargreeves sat down with them before they began to eat.

Riley and Five entered the room with the others and the two sat down next to each other at the table.

As always, the meal was quiet, and no one said anything.

Meanwhile, Riley watched the others. Luther and Allison looked at each other, then looked away, cheeks flushed.

Riley raised an eyebrow. Luther and Allison made a very good team, she just wasn't sure if it could get any better than that. Maybe they were too siblings like.

The teenager let their gaze wander further. Klaus secretly rolled a cigarette... or a joint? Riley could not tell.

Diego scratched something in the table with the knife, Ben read a book and Vanya just ate her food.