Chapter 2

On a warm afternoon, Riley sat outside in the courtyard reading a book.

"What are you reading?" Klaus asked and sat down next to his sibling.

"The book is called 'Time of Love and War'. It's about a nurse who falls in love with a soldier," they explained.

"Sounds boring," said Klaus.

"Because you don't understand," Riley replied.

Klaus didn't understand either. He wondered why Riley and other people liked love stories so much.

"They just– arg! and it was love at first sight and they met in this bar and-"

"Okay, I get it," Klaus interrupted them.

"No, you don't."

Riley closed the book and gave it to Klaus– they had already read it several times anyway.

"Read it. Maybe then you'll understand."

Klaus looked up at them when they suddenly heard a beep.

"Oh, Julien, I almost forgot about you."

The kid reached into her jacked pocket, took out the mouse.  and started petting Julien.

Their brother meanwhile opened the book.

"When I enrolled in nursing school back then, I didn't expect my life to change like this," Klaus read out loud. "No. Definitely no. What the hell is this? Seriously, how can you read something like that?"

Terra laughed lightly.

"You'll understand. Someday."

~~~~

Riley walked into the living room and found Five there, also in his old school uniform. They looked together at the paintings of them hanging over the fireplace.

Riley heard footsteps at the door and turned as Vanya entered the room.

"Nice to know Dad didn't forget us," said Five, turning around as well.

Riley smiled at their sister.

"We read your book, by the way," they said and sat down on the couch.

"Riley found it in a library that was still standing," Five explained.

He went to them and put a hand on their shoulder.

"I thought it was pretty good, all things considered."

"Yeah, definitely ballsy," Riley commented. "Giving up the family secrets. Sure that went over well."

"They hate me."

"I don't think they hate you, Vanya. They might be angry, but that's all. And even if they are, we definitely don't hate you," Riley said, gesturing towards herself and Five.

"And there are worse things that can happen," Five added, stepping closer to the fireplace again.

"You mean like what happened to Ben?" Vanya asked.

"Was it bad?" Riley asked.

Vanya nodded.

~~~~

Sometime later, the siblings gathered in the courtyard, at their father's favorite spot. It was a bit cold and raining, so almost everyone had an umbrella.

Five and Riley shared an umbrella. They had their arm around Five's.

"Did something happen?" Their mom broke the silence.