Chapter 41

Jez collapsed as soon as we entered the cabin. All she said was a simple 'oh' before she fell, writhing on the floor with tears streaming down her face. I quickly dropped to my knees, attempting to gather her into my arms but froze as soon as she cried out, shaking her head and gritting her teeth. "It hurts," she cried. "Everything fucking hurts."

My heart felt like it pumping faster than light. "I'll be right back."

"I won't be going anywhere," she managed to say before convulsing erratically, a horrific scream leaving her lips.

I quickly slipped out of the cabin and flew straight to Rhysand's estate as fast as I could. The sun was now beginning to rise, with the realisation that not a single fae knew what had happened in the forest today. They would never know how close to death they were, whatever the fuck that thing was.

Instead, Jez was lying on the floor of our home, looking like she was on the brink of death. The way she moved, ran, and fought, taking ownership of the situation, was exciting to watch. She looked like she was in her element, not a single hesitation for her own safety but for the next move. She had come a long way from the female who had woken up in the cabin, frail and weak.

In fact, Jez looked just like the drawing in that book Cassian gave me all those months ago. The intensity and fire weren't just in the artwork, but replicated in real life. When she shook her head at me, and how she stood in front of my family was testament to who she was before she came here. Jezreel. The Mother's Commander. The Lightbringer.

Yet, the female who entered the forest and came out with Cassian were starkly different. She left the woods shattered, her face puffy but she felt broken, like parts of her soul had fragmented with whatever she had come to terms with. I wanted to know and take that pain away in any way possible, but that would have to wait until later. Right now, she was on fire, the flames blue and scathing. Her whole body was screaming at her, I could feel it.

I had felt her in pain before – it was stabbing and warm – but what Jez was feeling right now, didn't feel normal. It was heightened, terrifying and strong.

Landing in front of the estate, the sun now threatening to blind me, I barged my way through the front doors, nearly knocking them down. Feyre was stood in entrance, jumping towards me, her eyes wide and red with Nyx asleep in her arms. "Madja is with Elain."

"Jez-"

"I know," Feyre murmured, stroking Nyx's hair. "I know."

I stood frozen. What did Feyre know?

"Madja will be down in a second," Feyre continued. "She's been busy with Elain and Varian, everyone else is fine."

Gods, I had forgot about them.

Don't apologise, Feyre told me. I had also forgotten about my wall, it seemed. Make it seem like you're here for them.

"How are they?" I asked her, my heart still thumping and unsure if my High Lord was lurking around the corner. Feyre shrugged.

"In a deep sleep," she replied. "Madja thinks that sleep will help with this but she is-"

"Excuse me, my High Lady," Vera's familiar voice rang from behind me. Feyre's gaze snapped behind me, narrowing. I turned, finding the elderly female with her grandson in the doorway. She seemed to have aged even more than the last time I had seen her, by about a hundred years. Chance, on the other hand, looked like he had been dragged out of bed. "We have not been introduced, but I am Vera – Velaris' Seer – and this is my grandson, who I am sure you have done business with in the past."

"Good morning to you both," Feyre greeted. "Unfortunately, we aren't taking visitors-"

"My Lady," Chance interrupted, bowing his head. He held a large black leather bag in his arms. "I apologise for cutting in, but my grandmother may be of use to you, and your family, this early morning. She can help ease the pain all those-"