Pyramus and Thisbe

Painting:by I couldn't find the artist °-°

Pyramus and Thisbe are another pair of ill-fated lovers driven to extremes by parents who forbid them to marry. Ovid wrote of their tale in "Metamorphoses," saying that the pair grew up living next to each other. As they got older, their lifelong friendship blossomed into love, but their parents refused to give them permission to marry. Deciding that life on the run was better than a life apart, they made arrangements to run away together, and did.They arranged to meet each other beside a nearby tomb, and Thisbe was the first to arrive. While she was waiting, a lioness approached. She dodged the lioness but dropped her veil in the process, which the lion soon investigated. When Pyramus arrived, he found no trace of his beloved ... and then, he saw her bloody veil and the pawprints of the lion. Assuming the worst, he stabbed and killed himself rather than live without her.

Thisbe returned to find her lover dead, her bloody veil in his hand. Realizing he had thought her dead, she leaned over and fell on his sword to join him in death. Their bodies are later found by their parents, who allow the pair to share a funeral pyre and finally, an urn.