Rokkoh and the Princess, Chapter 6

The ride goes silent for a long time, and I refuse to slip back into sleep. My eyes grow heavier with every passing minute. With every little bump in the dirt road I wake up for the briefest second, but then fall back into my bout with the charming mistress. Closer and closer I edge towards the temptation. The inevitability grows stronger and bigger with every rise and fall of my breath. My eyelids flutter in their final push to keep sleep at bay. They are pinned down, struggling against what my body demands.

"Sir Rokkoh," he whimpers through the wood. Torvald has stopped once more.

"What, boy?" The sleepiness takes hold of my voice now, slowing and slurring my words.

"There's something on the bridge."

My eyes snap open and I exit the carriage once more. The moon shines brighter here, reflecting off the water of the Red Bear River. A shape blocks the bridge midway through: tall, wide, seemingly alone. Bigger than me, no doubt. I squint, trying to make out details, but it's too far away. Beyond it, the buildings of Red Bear rubberneck.

"Surrender the girl," a rough, deep voice booms from the bridge.

"What is it?" Torvald asks, his fear as plain as day.

With slow steps, I approach where the bridge meets the road. I stand at the edge, examining the figure closer. Broad shoulders, long and thick limbs, bulky frame, hair pulled into a knot at the top of its head, a warhammer clutched in huge hands.

"Grant us passage, half giant," I call to it. "The closest we have to a girl is my chauffeur. You don't want him."

"You cannot lie to me, human," he growls. "I can smell her from here."

"Creepy," I comment. "Even if we had a girl with us, what makes you think we would hand her over?"

Shadows rise from the riverbank on the far side of the bridge, half a dozen in total. Even from this distance, they look smaller than the half giant. Like their leader, their weapons are drawn and ready to fight.

"We can be civil," the half giant says. "Blood does not need to be shed this night. Just give us the girl. We will escort her home."

Drawing in a deep breath, I kneel and close my eyes. One hand presses into the dirt of the road, my fingers spreading wide and digging in. They close and bring a handful of the earth above my head. I hold it there for a moment, ancient words escaping my lips. My grip loosens, dirt falling around my short dark hair.

"Bengnic min lamga, mussat seut pleindam indeci Baltevmt," the words repeat until my hand is empty. A warmth courses through me, invigorating and divine. Rising to my feet once more, Lavender reveals herself. A golden aura surrounds her, brilliant in the surrounding dark.

"Bloodshed it shall be," comes the concession, accompanied by a wicked grin.

I launch into a sprint, kicking up dirt as I go from my starting point on the road to the bricks of the bridge. Lavender requires both hands; I hold her upright and ready. The half giant accepts the challenge and begins his stride. His underlings at the river hold their ground. As we grow near, the half giant's scowling white warpaint becomes clear. The sight would instill a flicker of fear in weaker men, of this I am certain. Torvald for sure. I imagine it kept several matters "civil" in the past for him. Maybe that's how he even gained some of his cohorts.

I have never been much of a weak man.

Lavender sings in the night. The golden aura, lapping like heatless flames, extends itself to my charging frame. Pushing off the brick of the bridge, I soar. Lavender finds the half giant, the gold sparking as it gives a lover's kiss to his neck. I roll with my landing, stopping on one knee. The aura retracts from my body and dissipates. The half giant's body thuds, the warhammer clanging and the head rolling.

Skrolba's warmth leaves me, replaced by a sickening chill. I waiver in my spot, breathless and fatigued, but manage to rise to my feet. The half dozen bandits wait and watch, unmoving from their positions.

"Who of you would stand against me?" I muster what little strength I have left to challenge them. Their dark figures hesitate, looking to each other for a volunteer. One by one, they descend back down into the weeds.

Lavender returns to her sheath as I turn and flag down Torvald. Back to the headless bastard, I heave his corpse onto the barricade. It takes all I have to get him there, and while I give him one final push into the Red Bear River my lungs beg for air and rest. My body goes heavy; I lean against the barricade, letting it hold me while Torvald approaches. Muscles shaking and sweat glistening on my skin, I pull in what air I can. The boy can't see me so fragile. No one can. If anyone knew the cost of divine power...

"Such mastery, Sir Rokkoh!" Torvald exclaims as he draws near. He stops, the carriage door right in front of me. "You took his head clean off with one righteous swing! Incredible!"

"Shut up and get us to the Ursa Lodge," I order, collapsing onto the seat. The princess sleeps. Good.