Rokkoh and the Princess, Chapter 13

The room is elevated by a few steps. A desk sits straight ahead, a simple bed to the right, a door to the right, and a large window next to it. Two beings wait by the window, their backs to the room as they look out upon the city. The tall things, with a bit of width to them, wear the hoods up on their black cloaks. Vicar Senthia goes to them, whispering something between their heads. The one on the left, closest to us, turns quick. The sudden move lowers her hood, revealing long blonde hair. The silver crown holds rubies along the ring, as well as in the center of the tri-leafed flowers atop.

Her eyes behind spectacles are filled with a worry I could never understand. Wide, desperate, on the verge of letting loose the storm. Yet a hope that is as eternal as her love for her daughter, as everlasting as the sky itself. They lock onto the girl in my arms, and that hope becomes real. Though the tears come, they are accompanied by a sweet smile full of love and relief.

"Mama!" the child cries upon seeing her. She squirms in my arms, and I set her down. Her tiny feet sprint to the woman, Borso's paw held tight in her hand.

"Hi, baby!" she calls back, scooping up her little girl and pulling her into a perfect, warm embrace. They look so similar: blonde hair, though the child still has a long way to go to be half as long; blue-green-grey eyes filled with an unbreakable rapturous happiness; round, rosy cheeks.

The other turns then. He stands only a couple inches taller than her, but wears that same look behind his spectacled blue eyes. Wetness already runs from his eyes to his gingery brown beard. His crown, sitting atop his brunet head, is nearly identical, save for the swords in place of the flowers. His rubies form pommels for the tiny blades. He steps closer to his family, that wondrous elation overcoming him.

Princess Evalina, Queen Mae, and King Friedrich. The royal family of Walteria, reunited.

A tear of my own wells up in my eye. While this moment is rightfully one of euphoria for them, a jealousy grows in me. I'm glad they are all back together, that my mission was a success, but I want her for my own family. She is the one who brings us all together. Otherwise, Torvald and I are just servants of Oakwing and our childless regal rulers. Kym and I are just old flames that occasionally come together for a brief yet hot night. Kym and Torvald are just an assailant and her almost victim. Evalina makes us whole, normal. We need her.

Kill them all. Unless they have magic faster than Lavender, Birgir and Vicar Senthia would be easy to take out. Birgir is close enough as it is, and it would only take a step or two to get the shrouded one. King Friedrich, though well trained with a blade, would be too caught by surprise to unsheath and strike. Queen Mae would be the only challenge. She would need to be persuaded to give the girl to Torvald, who is too intimidated by my very being to disobey. Once that would be done, the two of them would leave the way we came and I would finish off the woman. It would be quick, easy.

Quick. Easy. Wrong.

Who am I to think such things? What right do I have to separate them all again, this time permanently? Regicide aside, they have all been through too much. Though she does not show it, Evalina's abduction must have been traumatizing. I can't imagine how the King and Queen felt when they awoke the next morning to find a ransom note in an empty crib. Devastated is too small, too insignificant of a word. Who am I to cut this reunion short? Besides, until I met the princess, I'd had very little interest in children. Odds are I wouldn't be much of a good parent in the first place. I would have to ride on the coattails of Kym's natural maternal instincts to get through the most basic problems. Even Lavender begs me to stay my hand.

The thought of the slaughter makes me sick with shame. I need not intrude on their moment. With a faint smirk, I head for the door.

"Sir?" comes her sweet voice. It stops me in my tracks. "You were her escort, correct?"