4: Devitt's Origin IV

*three months later.*
Dublin Ireland
January 3rd 2066
5:24 PM

Oliver is in the snowy courtyard training with Jon as they exchange blows using various forms of combat magic. Oliver summons a barrier that deflects fire from Jon as he conjures a magic whip that wraps around Oliver's foot.

Oliver discharges a wave of ice magic that freezes the whip and does injure Jon a bit.

"Heh you're getting good at this." Jon states with praise.

They begin another exchange with Oliver trying to trap Jon in an air bubble but Jon unleashes magical energy breaking free of this. Jon summons barriers that he uses to traverse and get Oliver who he knocks to the ground.

Oliver conjures magical webs and wraps these around Jon who uses fire magic to burn these away. Oliver goes to conjure something but he can't see Jon anymore seeing butterflies all around.

"Illusions... Really Jon?" Oliver asks in annoyance when he feels Jon put him in a chokehold and falls back. "Chokehold... How classic." Oliver says being released from the hold.

Jon helps Oliver up and chuckles a bit.

"You're getting better at a fast rate, you most certainly got potential to be a master class mage." Jon states being honest.

"And I appreciate that Jon, you're a good teacher." Oliver compliments which Jon appreciates. "But am I on the next level of books I can read?"

Jon is a bit reluctant to answer which annoys Oliver as he's been busting his ass to get into the more complicated spells and techniques.

"Kid you're making great progress, much more than most in the time you've been here hell you could probably do lower tier jobs by yourself but... You're still a novice and moving up a tier might not end well for you." Jon warns.

"What? Jon I understand magic okay? I gotta learn the upper echelon eventually." Oliver states.

"I know Ollie but the council is cautious over who is ready to learn more advanced magic... So for now? You'll stick to where you are." Jon says leaving the courtyard.

Oliver stays in the courtyard shoveling out the snow but he places it against the pile and debates in his head what he should do. The shemagh moves around his neck.

"Yeah I know, I should be patient but I can't help it... I need to learn that spell from the book." Oliver replies as the shemagh rests on his shoulder and shakes. "You sure?" Oliver questions as the shemagh shakes again giving him it's answer.

Oliver walks the halls of the HQ as he stops before the archives and sits down on a bench pulling out a book.

"Book is titled advanced techniques, masters only." Oliver whispers as the shemagh slides off his neck and slithers underneath the door as Oliver closes one of his eyes seeing thd shemagh can see.

The shemagh climbs onto a bookshelf trying to find the master's section as Oliver looks around seeing some fellow trainees walk past. The shemagh finds the masters section and searches the shelves till it finds the book.

"It was page 277 be quick." Oliver whispers when he sees Master Lynott approaching. "Ah Master Lynott mind if I have a moment of your time?"

"Depends Devitt, you gonna steal from me again?" Lynott asks rhetorically.

"That was one time Master Lynott, how'd you join the Irish league of mages anyway?" Oliver asks helping him move some books around.

"Well I was a young lad like you and... Hmph well I stole one of books here on a dare as I didn't think it was serious but imagine my surprise when I used magic." Lynott says.