Chapter 5: Family (1)

It was a fairly normal day as she combed her black hair in front of the mirror.

"Jieun!" Her mother called.

She hurriedly dropped the comb down on the dresser. "Coming!" She shouted down to her mother.

As she swiftly walked down the stairs, there was a smile on her face. When she got down stairs she was met with eh scene of her family all huddled behind a cake. "Happy birthday Jieun!" They exclaimed.

"Aww. Thank you so much for this surprise" Today was her sixteenth birthday. Today made it sixteen years ever since she was reborn as-

"Jieun" Her father said gently. He beckoned her over for a hug. "My baby girl is sixteen now..."

"It's okay. I'm not going anywhere yet"

"I know" She stepped away for a second and took in the image of her family. Aristia, no, Jieun's family.

It had been sixteen years ever since Aristia had been reborn in modern day Korea as Jieun. At first it was hard to adjust to the new devices and technology that existed around her, but she quickly adapted to it by the time she was able to walk and talk.

"Unnie is soon going to bring a brother in law home soon!" Jisoo, her younger sister squealed excitedly.

"Not on my watch!" Jieun's father said with a huff.

"Come on, grow up Taehyung" Jieun's mother said pacifying her father with a gentle pat on his back.

"Don't worry dad, my brother in law is gonna be like prince charming in that novel I read last week" Jisoo said with dreamy eyes as she clapped her hands happily.

Warmth pervaded within Aristia's heart as she watched the interactions between 'her' family.... Jieun's family.

That morning the family celebrated 'Jieun's sixteenth birthday.

'What would they do if they found out I'm not the real Jieun?' Aristia thought as the little party was now over and she was in her room doing homework.

Though she had been in this world for some time now, she wasn't completely able to accept her identity as 'Jieun'. No matter what, she was still Aristia.

A distant memory from her first life, when she had been demoted to queen, suddenly flashed in her mind.

It was one of her Aristia's many sad days. She was walking in the garden in the imperial palace which she very much loved. She had been walking quietly until Jieun came up to her and disrupted her peaceful silence.

"Tia!" Jieun shouted as she ran over to her.

Aristia turned to greet Jieun. "Greetings to her Majesty, the moon of the Empire" Aristia had to greet Jieun since she was just a concubine, while she was the Empress.

"Tia, you don't need to greet me so formally. Just call me Jieun"

Aristia felt uncomfortable, watching the woman who was the Empress of the esteemed Castina Empire, not practice proper manners. It was rather discourteous to refer to others by their nickname or have someone else call the Empress by her name.

"Yes" Aristia answered simply.

Jieun smiled then looked over to a big tree. "How come the tree never blooms" She asked randomly.

Aristia too then turned to gaze up at the tree.

That tree...was the one her and the late Emperor always sat under. The late Emperor was her father-in-law. He had treated her dearly and made her respected.