Firekit

Scenario: What if Firekit lived instead of Owlkit?

Contains spoilers for the following books/series:

A New Horizon: The Final Light

All of Waging War so far

As many of you know, Owlpaw and her siblings had a brother who died to the sickness that they all suffered at a young age. Owlkit also nearly died but was saved by Pebblestep, so this scenario asks what if the roles were reversed?

First things first; I do think that Firekit would've taken her place and received the same destiny as her, as the founding of MountainClan didn't fully depend on on Owlkit. I think he would've become medicine cat in the same way she did, starting out as a warrior apprentice but realizing he wanted to become a medicine cat, but it would've been a little differently.

I don't think the choice of mentor matters, but I do think Earthpelt still could've been chosen as his mentor. Firepaw would not have been the same as Owlpaw in terms of personality, I think he would've had much more confidence in his skills than she did. He would've done just fine as a warrior but Pebblestep still would've taught him herbs for the journey the same way she taught Owlpaw.

While on this journey he would've realized that he loved healing other cats, and wanted to switch to being a medicine cat apprentice, even if he did just fine as a warrior apprentice.

In regards to the rest of the journey I think he may of struggled a bit more than Owlpaw did with convincing Sheer Mountain to become leader, but he would've gotten it eventually. He still would've been just as annoyed by Slatepaw.

As for how he would do if he returned? I think that he would've been a bit more confident in his skills than Owlpaw, since she tends to be a lot harder on herself. Firepaw still would've struggled with the crowded medicine cat den, but he would've done just fine.

With this one I believe I will return to it once Waging War is completed so we can discuss how the rest of Waging War would've gone with him as the main character! For now, let me know what you think about dear Firepaw!