Chapter Eight

On the ride home, Mom and Justin held each others hand tight. It was like they were grasping on for dear life. They talked quietly in the front seat while I sat in the back, gazing out the window. Los Angeles at night is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of places. You can see the warmth in the air, and the city is alive with lights and buildings. Palm tress decorate the sides of the road and it's hard not to feel relaxed.

We drove through the gates of our property and into the garage. I carried Justin's suitcase inside and Justin carried Mom like a little kid. Sometimes I feel like she's an innocent little angel that needs to be protected by Justin and I, but then I remember how much she's been through. She's been through a lot of shit...with my dad, her mom, the press...some days I question how she's still sane. But I suppose it's because of Justin and I.

When we got inside, Justin set Mom down on the couch. He gave gave me a big, long hug. "Good night kiddo." He said and kissed my forehead. "I love you."

"Can't I stay up and watch TV or something with you guys?" I asked, smiling. I walked over to the couch where Mom was laying. She reached up and hugged me.

"No, honey, go to bed." She said.

"But I-"

"Michelle?" Justin said and looked at me and winked. He looked over at Mom and she smiled. He raised his eyebrows, a hint I know a little too well.

"You guys! Gross! Can't you just tell me you're going to be doing laundry or something?" I giggled.

"Okay," Justin said. He hopped onto the couch, spooning Mom and giving her comically big kisses. "We're doing laundry, Michelle, go to bed!" Mom and I laughed.

"Alright. Good night. Love you."

"Love you too!" They shouted in unison.

"Don't be too loud..." I mumbled while walked down the hall to my room. The cool tiles felt good on my feel since the night was so warm. I shut the door behind me and changed into clean underwear and one of Justin's old shirts. My bed felt to empty. Even though I was happy that Justin was home, I missed sleeping in Mom's big bed with her.

I woke up in the middle of the night, expecting to see Mom's sleeping face in front of mine, to be able to cuddle up to her and fall asleep with ease. But it was just my big, empty bed. I looked at the clock on my bedside table. It read three AM. I got up from my bed and padded down to the end of the hall. I walked into Mom's room. Justin, in only his boxers was the big spoon and Mom, in her little panties and T-shirt, was the little spoon. I crawled into their huge bed, my back to Mom, wrapping her arms around me. I fell sleep right away. I was the littlest spoon.