Chapter 1

Chapter 1
Welcome to Shuchi'in Academy (Kaichi's side)

A wary Ren sat on his cousin's bed, covering his nose as he watched him practically bathe himself in cologne. His room was decorated with all kinds of posters ranging from fish, space, football, musicians, and more. It was messy, to say the least. Even Ren's attic looked better. Clothes were thrown around everywhere, trash cans full, among other things.

"How much cologne are you going to use?" Ren spoke, covering his mouth and nose with his palms."I'm gonna be reeking too."

"Dude, look at us." Kai turned on his heels, splaying his arms. Ren looked down at himself. He was wearing the official Shuchi'in uniform but had a white sweater under his long-sleeved shirt and his jacket. Kai was wearing the same uniform but with different colors. Instead of the white shirt, he wore a navy blue shirt with a white jacket, white dressing pants, and black shoes."I look SOO cool with this! I look really fancy and all that stuff." He stood in front of his mirror, doing all sorts of poses."I never realized I look so good in white. But still..."

Ren rose a brow when his cousin turned to face him, tears in his eyes."You look so cool Onii-chan! Why do you get the cool colors? I wanted to wear black and white not white and black!"

"I think that shirt is bluer than anything. But don't worry, you look good." Ren deadpanned at his cousin's demeanor.

"Yeah, you're right. I do look good, don't I?" His tears immediately disappeared replaced by a goofy grin."I'm sure all the girls there are going to be looking at me. "Oh, who is that handsome new boy?" "Didn't you hear? That's the cousin of a hero! He saved a poor girl from being kidnapped!" "O.M.G he's coming this way!" "

"Kai, you're freaking me out." Ren ran a hand through his hair while his cousin continued talking to himself."Besides, our main goal isn't to get girls or whatever you think we are. It's to better ourselves and get good grades. We have to keep this scholarship, no matter what."

"Relax. We just gotta get good grades, right? No biggy."

Ren groaned in exasperation at Kai's nonchalant response. He thought back to when he met the man responsible for giving him the opportunity for higher education.

"Here you go, Ren." Ruka sat beside Ren's bed, holding a steamy cup of coffee in her hands. The poor woman looked like she hadn't slept in days with the bags under her eyes. She had pulled a double shift on the day Ren was stabbed and was the one responsible for interrogating the man who stabbed him. Thankfully, the knife missed any vital organs, but Ren would be hospitalized for a few weeks.

"Not being able to eat solid food sure is a pain." Ren gave a dry chuckle, wincing a bit in pain."Can't even chuckle without being in pain."

"Maybe next time don't try to be a hero and get yourself stabbed." Ruka remarked, sighing."You nearly gave me a heart attack. How do you think I felt when I got a call from Kai crying, saying you got stabbed in an alleyway."

"I know...I'm sorry..." Ren glanced down at the sheets covering his legs, guilt filling his mind."I didn't want to do it...but I just...moved on my own..."

"I understand. You have a strong sense of justice. Guess you got that from your grandfather. By the way, I called your parents. They're expecting a call from you when you feel better."

"Right..." Ren nodded, a sullen expression on his face."Where's Kai?"

"Asleep at home. Poor thing hasn't slept much because he was really concerned." Ruka fought the urge to cry upon remembering her own child crying over a pile of blood with his cousin. She had to give him some medicine to calm him down and make him sleep because he wasn't able to stop sobbing."He's a brave boy. Just like his cousin."