66. Thoughts of a Swordsman

Covered in crusty mud, a tired swordsman stumbled into his home as the sun began to set. Though his body ached, his sword was still his top priority. He wiped it down, gave it its well-deserved oil treatment, and lovingly set it in its resting place. Once that was all done, he could finally take care of himself. One by one, each piece of clothing fell to the floor as he undressed, leaving a trail that led directly to the washbasin.

After tidying up, the swordsman lit a candle, sat down at his desk, and picked up his quill pen. Then, having decided on a topic, he dipped the quill in its ink bottle and began to write.

"The pen is mightier than the sword, they're starting to say.

Is it, really?

The former can destroy lives, sure. But the latter ends them forcibly. Only those who have experienced both can say which is worse.

Besides, those who use the phrase are often rather biased. Of course an author is going to say 'the pen is mightier than the sword,' thus earning the moral high ground among an elite circle of like-minded colleagues. Have you ever asked a swordsman for his thoughts on the matter?

He would probably answer: 'That is a beautiful idea. Why don't you bring your favorite pen to a sword fight so we can see what happens?'

Bringing a sword to a pen fight would be just as fatal. Picture the tragedy: wise writers with so much knowledge to be shared with the world, competing to see who can express oneself better... all quickly laid low by a ruthless killer carrying cold metal.

Then again, when wielded by a ruthless killer, anything becomes deadly. Pens and swords aren't necessary when you are armed with bare hands and a poisonous tongue.

Perhaps what the phrase intends to transmit is that 'the pen is mightier than the sword' when both are cast in a positive light. The pen, paired with paper, yields unrivaled opportunity and expression. It helps us share our thoughts with those around us and those yet to be born in the years to come. The sword has many strengths, but I'll admit it concedes to the pen on that particular matter.

But again, it's not about the pen or the sword. It's about the person armed with it. And who is to say that someone cannot wield both?

'The pen and the sword are only as mighty as the person behind it,' is the phrase I would use."

Satisfied, the swordsman set his pen down and blew out the candle.