Chapter 1

Hi! My name is Katie Marie. I am a senior in high school and my heart belongs to music. Music is my passion. I write my own songs and play them all the time. I own a guitar and a keyboard so I can compose.

About four years ago, I said goodbye to my best friend, Seth. He went off to be a wrestler in some big company. I watched it on TV once but I couldn't really get into it.

***

Today was the day. We were having a talent show at school today and I was singing at least five songs all of which I wrote myself plus dancing with my group. My dance group. My choir teacher, Ms. Mendyk, said that I was the only one doing that many things and this talent show somehow revolved around me. I guess I really was the best in her class.

I was backstage in my dark jeans, red sparkly tank top and my red heels waiting to go on. Ms Mendyk came up behind me. "Nervous?" she asked.

"A little. I don't know why. I've done this a hundred at least." I said.

"Well if you don't have nerves before you perform then this is something you shouldn't be doing. You're gonna do great kiddo."

"Thanks."

"Listen, this talent show is basically for you. You're the main one doing anything and I just wanted to let you know that I made a few calls and some people are coming to watch you perform." she said.

"What?" I asked a little shocked.

"They're celebrities. Wrestlers I think. It doesn't make any difference. They're gonna watch you and then possibly tell their boss and go from there." she said.

"Oh." I said starting to think about Seth. He went into wrestling. I missed him so much.

"Show time." she said. I saw a spot light come on and she was in the middle holding a microphone. "Good evening. I am so glad that all of you could come to this talent show. We have been working really hard with one of our students in particular. I am, myself, a fan of this young girl and I just know that she's gonna far. So please, ladies and gentlemen, give it up for Katie!"

I walked out smiling. This was something I really liked to do. Before she handed me the microphone she hugged me.

"They're right in the front row."

I smiled and took the mic from her. When I looked down at the front row, I saw someone I thought I'd never see again. Seth. He was with two other men. One with black hair pulled back into a loose bun and another guy with short dirty blonde hair. I suddenly felt really nervous. He smiled and me and I gave him a small smile.

"Okay, so this first song is called Masterpiece. I hope you all like it." I said.

*So much pressure. Why so loud? If you don't like my sound you can turn it down I got a road and I'll walk it alone. Uphill battle I look good when I climb. I'm ferocious, precocious. I get baggadocious, I'm not gonna stop. I like the view from the top. You talk the blah blah that la la that rah rah shit and I'm so done I'm so over it. Sometimes I mess up, I f up, I hit and miss but I'm okay, I'm cool with it. I still fall on my face sometimes and I can't color inside the lines cause I'm perfectly incomplete. I'm still working on my masterpiece and I, I wanna hang with the greats, got a way to go but it's worth the wait. No, you haven't seen the best of me. I'm still working on my masterpiece. Oooh, oooh, oooh, aaah. Oooh, oooh, oooh, aaah. Those who mind don't matter. Those who matter don't mind. If you don't catch with I'm throwing then I'll leave you behind. Gone in a flash and I ain't leaving like that.*

I kept singing until the song was over and then I moved on to the second song. Little Toy Guns.

*In between the coats in the closet she held on to that heart shaped locket. Staring a family flawless but it ain't a pretty picture tonight. Mom and daddy just won't stop it. Fightin' at the drop of a faucet. Cuts through the walls catastrophic. She's caught in the cross fire. Puts her hands over her ears starts talking through the tears. She's saying. She's praying. I wish words were like toy guns. No sting no hurting no one. Just a bang bang rollin off your tongue. I wish words like little toy guns. Yeah. No smoke, no bullets, no kick from the trigger when you pull it. No pain, no damage done. I wish words were like little toy guns. Just a bang bang rolling off your tongue. I wish words were like little toy guns. Wish there was a white flag waving or that they were both just faking. And it was just a game they were playing like shoot em up cowboys.*

When I was done with all of my songs, my dance group went on a danced to Fancy by Iggy Azalea. It was amazing. We danced in black sports bras and black and blue yoga sweatpants with white Nike shoes.

Once the concert was over we all took a bow and then we walked back stage. My two friends, Tejai Turek and Shade Duke hugged me. They were in the dance group with me. "That was amazing." I said.

"Who were the three hotties in the front row?" Tejai asked.

"Well, one of them is Seth and the other two I have no idea." I told them.

"Well they are really cute." Shade said.

"Hey, I'm gonna go find Ms. Mendyk so I can tell her that I appreciate everything." I said.

"Okay." they said.

I walked out and started down the hall towards the choir room.

"That was an amazing performance." I heard the voice that still sent tingles down my spine. I stopped in my tracks.

I turned around.