Chapter 27

While the research station computer ran its analysis on the part they'd found, Kendra sat beside the being on the roof, overlooking the vast desert. "Antony and I came up here to sit and decompress."

"You and he were friends, weren't you?"

"Yeah. I wish I could tell him I'm still alive," she said and stared up at the moons glowing among the millions of stars. "I feel so cut off from the world I knew. Most of my family is already gone, but I was glad to have a familiar face on this expedition."

The being sat, resting his chin against folded hands. "It is an unfortunate thing you and I have in common to understand isolation in this way. Still, I am glad to know you."

She met his gaze. "Me too. I'm glad to have you here."

"I am sorry to hear that your family is gone," he said.

Kendra blew out a long breath out between her teeth. "My family was unlucky, in a way. Our genetics make us unable to use the most common treatments that can extend people's lifespans."

He folded his hands, a look of concern on his face. "I'm afraid I have little basis of reference to understand."

"When I was born, my parents and I had routine medical checkups. We found out that both sides of my family have gene variants that reduce the effectiveness of the treatments to slow aging."

"How do those treatments work?"

"The most potent treatments boost the body's ability to repair damage to our DNA and organs," Kendra said. "The treatments don't prevent all cosmetic aspects of aging, laughter lines and gray hair and whatnot. They tend to freeze your external appearance somewhere around early middle-aged. My parents didn't have brief lives, but it was a blow to realize they might live only half or a third as long as their friends."

"That would be difficult. I assume that affects you as well?"

"It does. Worse, since I inherited those alleles from both parents. Still, I wanted to explore places all over the galaxy and learn as much as I could. I didn't expect to get married," she said and shook her head, her mouth curving into a wistful smile.

The being nodded. "What was your partner like?"

"My husband was a scientist involved in farming and agricultural research, so he worked with animals and plants," she said. "We met when I was in grad school. He'd finished his master's degree and worked in the same university town. I went to a café to get a drink that reminded me of home, but I forgot my money. He was behind me in line and bought it for me."

She shook her head and laughed. "After that, we started talking. I surprised myself, because I asked him out without a plan. Got nervous, couldn't even think of a good place to get dinner. He suggested going up to the best telescope on campus for our first date."

"That sounds wonderful," the being said, and his eyes crinkled with warmth.

"It was." She folded her arms. "He had a congenital disease that was chronic but well-managed, and he knew it would limit his lifespan. When he told me, his face was so grave, and I didn't know what to say, so I told him about my genetic issues."

Kendra huffed. "Neither of us knew how to react, so we started laughing like we were in on this morbid joke," she said. "There was some comfort in imagining that neither of us were likely to be alone long." She stared down at her palms. "We were wrong, though. He passed away about five years ago now."

"I'm sorry," the being said. "What was your life like when you were together? You lived near a lake, didn't you?"

"We did. We both enjoyed hiking and being outdoors. Even with his heart, his doctors recommended moderate exercise to keep him strong. He would sketch and fish, although I got bored fishing easily," she said. She tilted her head toward the being. "I don't remember telling you about the lake."