Chapter 9 - From the Ground Up

"-but we've been together practically 24-7 since he swept me off my feet at the tournament, so I wouldn't be surprised if people were talking about us already, I mean, not that that's a bad thing, I wouldn't really mind being the talk of the town-"

And that's all I caught before I tune out again, trying to hide my pitiful amusement as Wim pats Genevieve's shoulder and slides out from where she's perched like a queen on his lap. I sit beside Kait on the two-person seat that's scooped into the side of the boat, next to the picnic basket full of cookies that Wim is moving toward. Gen is blocked from my view by Wim as he picks through the basket for a cookie, and I clap my hands over my mouth as a fit of laughter bubbles up. He tries very hard to keep a smile off of his face, and takes his time rummaging through the basket as he looks at Kaitlin and I.

"Swept her off her feet, huh?" I snicker, trying to keep my laughter in check and out of my voice.

"Chasing after me doesn't even begin to explain it," he whispers lowly through his teeth. "I'm relieved that we met up with you guys." I reach up to pat his arm.

"If I wasn't with Rome, I'd pretend to be your girlfriend. Kait could, you know..." Kait bats her eyelashes at him in a mock-flirtatious way.

"You know I have a man at home, but any friend of Allie's is a friend of mine, I'm a good actress."

Wim chuckles as he answers. "Ah, but she already knows I've been single for some time. 'Preciate it, though," he sends Kait a little wink, and I can tell her heart melted a little bit.  

"Have you tried one of Kait and Allie's cookies yet?" Wim says with his mouth full, turning to Gen and pulling another one out. She giggles at him, crossing her legs at the knee and leaning back.

"I have, they're rockin' good," she says with a sugary smile. Her magenta-colored hair is pulled up into a high ponytail with a bump, a brightly patterned scarf tied around her head. She's already mentioned a few times that he doesn't want to get her hair wet. She's a pretty girl, but from what Roman has told me, she's a bit desperate. And extremely annoying, which doesn't help her out at all. That probably encourages the desperation...

I pity her a little, I've heard she can't keep friends very well because of her unfortunate traits, but not as much when she starts playing her man-hunt games. It seems like after she accepted the fact that Roman and I were serious, she stopped going after him only to advance to the next guy closest to me... Wim, just to bug me at the same time that she's trying to hook up. Unless it's just me. The strange part is, it affects me sometimes. Not in a full-out jealously way... More like watching a brother or cousin date a girl you don't approve of. I'm a selfish person, I'll admit.

"We're hopping in for a bit, I'm sweltering," Roman announces, pulling off his shirt as Sage joins him on the swimming deck. I quell the annoyed spark in my chest as I catch Gen watching Rome and Sage de-clothe.

"Sunbathing sounds good for me," Gen says, getting up to grab her towel and head for the bench seat at the back of the boat. Wim takes his shirt off, too, throwing it on the driver's seat. Kaitlin frantically fans herself behind his back. I wrinkle my nose at her as she soundless mouths 'lawd in Heaven!' She's a firm believer of window-shopping. Her face stills sedately, and I follow her look to Roman’s turned form before he plunges into the reservoir.

“That’s his scar?” she asks me, very quietly. I give a small nod. She watches Roman and Sage rough house a bit, dunking each other and laughing loudly, her look a bit sad. “What a horrible thing to happen to someone. A horrid, terrible thing...” I stay silent for a moment, both of us still watching the boys.

“I know. He’s the last person who would ever deserve something close to it.”

Kait and I sit on the edge of the swimming dock, with our feet dangling in the fairly clear water as the guys swim around us. Wim floats over to the deck, propping his arms on it next to my legs as he smoothes his soaking hair back away from his face.

“What up, Wim, my man? How you doin’?” I say, acting a little mobster to be funny. It earns a warm chuckle from him.

“I’m wonderful, now. I’ve been curious as to how you’ve been doing lately, though,” he states, his hand closing over the top of my knee as he looks up at me.

“I’m doing alright, actually,” I say softly, giving Wim a gentle smile. Not a moment goes by that I forget what Wim did for me. How he protected me, and defended me. Where he always was just a friend that I occasionally saw from time to time, I now hold him in very high esteem. He pulls himself up on the deck next to us.

“Really?” he breathes, giving me an exaggeratedly pointed look as he leans in for a close examination of my expression. I giggle as I push him away by his bare chest.

“Yes, really!”

“Really, really?”

“Really, really, really.”

“Oo, an extra really. You must mean some serious business with that then, I believe you,” he laughs, pulling me against him in a sitting-hug. My arms get all folded up against our bodies, and I continue to giggle as I rest my head on his shoulder. He gives such cozy bear hugs. Gen’s voice interrupts our tender bro-hug moment as Wim releases me.

“You’ve been such a great host, Wim, do you want another back massage?” she asks imploringly, stretching across the back of the boat where she was sunbathing, propping herself up by her elbows to squash her barely bikini-covered boobies together. I resist the intense urge to snort.

“That’d be great, Gen, thanks,” Wim says, and she gives a satisfied smile before jumping up to climb back into the boat. Wim looks at Kait, then me. “The main reason I let her monopolize my time,” he smirks, gaining snorts and suppressed chortles from Kait and I.

“You’re using her, Wim,” I tease as he stands to receive his massage.

“Hey, she’s right, she imposes on my time. Compensation, Allie.” Kait and I continue to stifle our laughter as he hops up and into the boat. Roman and Sage swim up to us once he’s gone.

“Hello, my love,” I say sweetly as Rome props his arms across my lap and looks up at me with his gorgeous eyes, stringy black hair sticking to his forehead.

“Hey, darlin’,” he murmurs before I take his face in my hands and lean in for a small kiss. I hear a splash when my eyes are closed and my lips are on Roman’s.

WHITMOOOORE!” Kait’s voice screeches, and Rome and I look over to see Sage fleeing in a flurry of splashing water and flailing strokes, with a frenzied Kaitlin diving in hot on his heels with malicious intent. I giggle as Roman looks back at me, moving his arms to circle around my legs and butt.

“I’m glad to see you so happy, Thea,” he says softly, and I lower my head to rest it against his. “I was so damn worried about you.”

“I know you were, sweetheart. And I’m sorry for that...”

“No... Don’t be,” he says, nudging my head up to look at me squarely. “I’m just glad you’re okay now. I love you, Allie,” he whispers the last part as I place my hands lovingly on either side of his face.

“I love you, my Rome...” He pulls himself up suddenly to capture my lips against his in one of his intoxicating kisses, and my heart just melts as I wrap my arms around his neck.

“Allie?” he breathes, his lips brushing against mine.

“Yes...?” I whisper, caught up in the way his lips mesh with mine.

“You’re too dry...” He purrs.

And before I know it, my ass is sailing through the air. Just like old times, right?

-------------

So I've started doing this thing where, when I post a new chapter, I go back and dedicate the last one to someone! I look at the great comments you guys give me, stick your names in a random name generator, and voila. And if I try to get dudes that haven't had a dedication yet, as well :) Want to thank you guys again for all the love and praise and support. 

(Been writing a lot of Wolven lately too, so if you like the supernatural, and werewolves, and action, check it out.)