Chapter 5 - What is Broken

I was a wreck. And I didn't want to show up back at camp like this, so Wim drives me to his chalet to clean me up. Wrapped in a huge white sweatshirt of his, I sit curled by a fireplace with a mug of black tea in my hands as I watch the dark screen of my phone that lies on my lap. Wim walks in from the hall, stowing his own cell in a pocket.

"Ben said Mazie will be back to her house shortly with Roman. How's your head?" I remove the ice pack from the huge goose egg I received, touching it carefully.

"Tender... But the giant headache's starting to lessen from the pain meds." He joins me on the rug by the fire, tapping through his messages.

"Roman texted me while we were out. He stopped by Mazie's just an hour ago when you didn't come back at dark."

"Yeah, he texted me a few times."

The screen lights up with Roman's name as the ringtone sings, and the vibrate buzzes through my leg. Thank god, he's quick.

"Roman,"

"Thea! I'm going fucking crazy over here, are you okay?" His voice is at a level of distress that I've never heard it reach. Tears prick at my eyes just at the sound of his voice.

"I'm alright now. It was a stupid, stupid mistake."

"I'm fucking furious. I'm shaking, I'm going to kill them all." Wim's hand rubs my shoulder in comfort. I don't speak, just hold back my tears as Roman fumes on the other line. "Thea?" he breathes.

"I need you, Rome," I manage to whimper before I start to cry again. I need his touch, his love. His comfort.

"I'm coming."

Once the sound of a quad roars up Wim's driveway, I wait in ragged anticipation as Wim goes out the back door to bring him in without bothering his parents. I tell myself to cut it out with all the tears, knowing the sight of my Rome is going to make me lose it again. And sure enough, when he comes tearing in through the door, tears fill my eyes as I stand. I hardly have time to go to him before he covers the distance between us and takes me in his strong, safe arms. Roman has never seen my cry before. I didn't really want him to. His forehead is on mine as he holds my face in both hands, brushing away silent tears with his thumbs as he searches me.

"I'm here, Thea... I'm here," he whispers, and I clutch at his chest.

"I'm okay," I murmur, moving to press my cheek against his as his hands slide down to hold me close against him. "It was just a mistake. A stupid, stupid mistake and I'm so lucky to be okay after it. Wim saved me, Roman." He pulls away from me to look back at Wim, who stands silently behind us. I look up to watch Roman as the two regard each other.

"Words aren't enough to thank you," he says, his voice dark and serious. Wim gives a slow nod.

"It could've happened to anyone. We're lucky I was with her." I know Roman never trusted Wim, ever. But true gratitude is plain in his eyes.

"Very lucky."

With many good-byes and thanks, Roman and I leave Wim's house arm-in-arm. He came here with no helmets on his quad, so I'm free to sit as close as I can get to his back on the vehicle, my head nestled against the space between his shoulder blades after he kick-starts the engine. He places his arm strongly across his stomach over both of mine as he drives down the dirt road. After squeezing the back of my hand, he grasps the other side of the handlebar. We drive through the chilly night, only stopping at Mazie's so she and Ben can see that I'm alright. I'm glad that I'm out of tears by then.

Our cabins are quiet and dark by the time we make it back.

"What does everyone know about this?" I whisper to Roman as he puts his quad away.

"Nothing. They think we all were at a movie night at Bennen's." He pauses as we move toward the door, reaching for me. I'm about to go for a kiss when he pulls me against him before lifting me up in his arms.

"Rome," I murmur into his neck, my arms draped around his shoulders as he carries me up the lawn and into the upper cabin. I relish in his comfort, his touch, his smell, his safety. He impresses even me after he maneuvers both of us up the spiral staircase, though I have to hold on so he can use one hand on the railing. He takes me straight to his room, and I grasp his neck tightly as he pulls the blankets away before setting me gently down in his bed.

He removes my sandals, his touch slow and gentle as he moves to my jeans, kissing my cheek as he carefully and unhurriedly undoes the button and zipper. With my arms around his neck, I lift my hips so he can pull them off gently. His hands slide the jeans all the way to my feet, sitting on the bed to fold them before setting them deliberately on the ground in a neat way. He looks at me in silence as I lie against the bed in my underwear, and Wim's sweatshirt over my ripped tank top. He gives me a small, tender smile.

He bends to grasp my ankles in his hand, and place gentle kisses on my shins. He trails them up slowly, each one loving. He kisses all the way up to my thighs, and I open my legs so he can lie between them. His hands stroke the sides of my hips. I sink my hands into his thick hair, holding onto him that way as he places a kiss on my skin directly above the waistband of my underwear after he moves the shirts up. He places another and another, his kisses covering my hips, my stomach. Touching every inch that that creep could've. He moves away from me, pulling me to sit up against him. His hands move to my throat, pulling the zipper of the hoodie down, sliding it off my arms as he kisses my bare shoulder. I move to his lap, encircling him with my legs as he holds me against him.

Roman lifts the ripped tank top up over my head, placing it on top of the jeans on the floor before leaning back up to gather me in his embrace again. I fold my arms between our chests, the cool air raising goose bumps over my bare skin. His gentle hands spread warmth over my lower back as he presses me against him, one hand gliding up over the back of my bra on its way to move all of my hair over one shoulder. He kisses the bare skin of my neck and down to the top of my shoulder, and I slide my arms around his neck to nestle my face against his skin.

Clutching me tightly, he carries me with him as he moves to pick me up and lay me on my back. I let my legs drop to entwine in his as he slides down, kissing the length of my collar bone before leaving a trail of slow, loving kisses over every available space around my bra. He covers every spot that was defiled by the slime ball's touch with his kiss.

I place a hand on the side of Roman's face, loving everything about him. He kisses my hand, and I sit up close to him to pull at the hem of his shirt. He lets me lift it over his head, and I give a small smile as I see the sunburn dusting his skin as I run my hand over his bare chest.

"How's your burn?" The first words since we were down in the shed.

"Never mind that," he whispers, shedding his shorts to join me and collect me in his arms under the blankets. His bare skin feels like the best thing in the world against mine. Adding to the complete bliss, he runs his hands through my hair.

"You are everything to me," he whispers into my locks, "I was sick to my stomach all night after Mazie showed up. I've never felt that way before. And I've never felt this way about anyone. I've never cried for any girl, Thea... Ever." Eyes widening, I move my head to look at him in the low lamplight. His face is blank, his eyes are closed. He looks like he could be sleeping, but a short, wet line trails from the corner of his eye to disappear against the pillow. A tear is pooled in the shelf created by his nose from the other eye.

"Roman," I breathe, holding onto him tightly.

"I don't know what I would've done if something had happened to you." He lifts my chin to kiss me deeply, desperately, and tears prick at my own eyes.

"You'll never have to know."

----------------------------

This chapter is dedicated to a lovely writer, who's work has a lot less views than they deserve! Go read her stuff, especially "Saving a Life!" :D