Chapter-1

• Song- Suno suno savre ki vansi •

Song- Suno suno savre ki vansi

~~

"Rumour is that Devakinandan Krishna has stopped the blasphemy, he saved Empress Draupadi's honour" The young milkmaid gushed while pouring down the butter in a pot.

"Malti, It's no rumour, it is the truth" Her mother murmured gazing at the dark cloudy sky, her hands imprudently working on the Gaumata she was nursing while her heart recalled a certain someone whose complexion resembled the clouds' bluish grey tone "Only if you had witnessed our little Kanha of Vrindavan, you would have never called it a rumour"

"Well too bad your Kanha has never really visited Vrindavan for the young ones to witness his greatness. He has forgotten about this poor village" The corner of Suchandra's lips twitched, a nameless pain slowly engulfing her heart as she continued, choking down a sob "About us, about Nandraja, Yasho-"

"Is this what you come here for?" A cold silver voice cut her short.

The gopis became alert and looked up to see the Queen of Vrindavan standing at her door that usually stayed closed. She breathed heavily, her grey hair that was pulled back in a careless bun, was disheveled indicating she didn't touch it in days, her wrinkled face was bereft of any emotions.

Yashoda continued while descending the stairs "To gossip? Don't forget we need to send seven thousand pots of butter to Dwarka by today, the lord of Dwarka" Yashoda stopped feeling a sob rising in her chest "His janmtithi is tomorrow. They have informed us almost a month ago, even though they are generous enough to spare us for our lack of responsibility, I don't want to take advanta-" A vicious cough muffled Yashoda's voice as she covered her mouth with her pallu, but it only became more vigorous, making it painful for her to breathe. She felt the air leaving her body and unable to fight the weariness anymore she collapsed on the ground.

"Nandrani" The gopis rose on their feet, a hard, quick pulsed in their throats as they watched their dearest Queen laying there, appearing almost lifeless.

"What is goi-Yashoda" King Nanda who just entered rushed toward his wife who layed there barely conscious and took her in his arms. He gazed down at her beautiful visage and caressed it benignantly before wiping of the blood that lingered at the corner of her lips "Oh Yashoda"

His grip around his wife tightened, a familiar sense of fright slowly enclosing his heart, the fright of losing yet another person he loved, the fright of not seeing them ever again "Don't do this to me Yashoda" He pleaded pressing his lips on her forehead "Just don't"

Taking her in his arms, Nanda rose on his feet "She will be alright, continue your work" He ordered the villagers before darting toward their room.

Placing his wife on their bed, he covered her fragile body with a blanket before looming over her a little, placing his palm over her forehead Nand called out softly "Yashoda"