Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

"No. No fucking way." Theodore paced outside his bedroom, his body feeling numb. Just hearing Don over the phone made everything so much more complicated.

"I'm serious, Theodore. I'm having a DNA test done. I know you said you needed her, but you know how important this is. I've been searching for her for years. I need to know, man."

Theodore pinched the bridge of his nose. This was it - this was where Don called the police on his family. This was where he was brought to jail in handcuffs, locked up for life because of something his family did behind his back.

It made it even worse that, according to the government, he'd been living at his house for over a year. If it wasn't for the probation, Theodore would be safe. He wouldn't be in trouble.

That fucking probation! Theodore cussed to himself. He'd been stupid in school. He'd gotten caught with drugs. He wasn't sent to jail, but rather probation, which stated he had to leave school to live with his family. His parents very well knew this, but let him get away with living on his own, due to his age.

He was screwed. No matter how he looked at it, he'd be sent to jail. Either for kidnapping a girl, or breaking probation.

"I know this is important to you, Don. But you can't ask me questions, alright? If this is your daughter, shit will hit the fan. I cannot go to jail again. I just can't."

Don knew that Theodore was in some serious trouble, but he couldn't promise he wouldn't call the police. If Meredith turned out to be Darcy, then Don would have no choice but the tell the police. Even if he didn't, his wife would. His neighbors would. Darcy returning would stir up a mess.

He liked Theodore, but he couldn't keep him safe. Not when it came to Darcy.

"You know the police will get involved if she's Darcy. You know that."

"I didn't take her, though! I'm not involved in this girl's kidnapping. And if I go to jail for it, my life is as good as over. Think about it - I'll go to jail for probably life. If not, for a long enough period of time where I'll get out when I'm old and have nothing going for me. I can't go to jail, man!"

Don rubbed his forehead. He did like Theodore, and he trusted him. However, it was out of his hands.

"I'm sorry Theodore. I can't help you."

Theodore hung up the phone and punched the wall, his anger getting the best of him. He couldn't help it that his family took this girl. It just wasn't fair.

"What is the status of Meredith?" Keith picked that very moment to climb the stairs. The hopeful look on his face killed Theodore.

"She's gone for good, dude. My man thinks she may be his kidnapped daughter. If she turns out to be his daughter, then the police will get involved. Meaning, we're screwed."

"Tell him not to rat us out, then!" Keith suddenly yelled. "Make him keep this secret, Theodore!"

Theodore brushed past Keith. "This is your fault, dude. Not mine. And I'm not going to make Don lie to the police - he is the police. I'm not putting him there. He could lose his fucking job."

Keith grabbed Theodore's arm. "It's as much of your problem as it is mine!"

"I didn't ask mom and dad to kidnap a girl for me!" Theodore shoved his brother back. "I didn't make them take that girl. I didn't do jack shit. You did! And it's about time you face the music, Keith. What did you think, no one would find out?"