Chapter Five

Chapter Five

* * *

Meredith just stared at Theodore. "Older brother? Why haven't I met you?" Why didn't Keith mention you?

"I don't live here. My parents sent me to military school when I was eleven years old. When I graduated, I stayed away, but since my father's been put in prison, I decided to come home." Theodore wanted to ask so much more, but he couldn't. He didn't dare. She was too skittish.

Meredith felt happiness wash through her. So Keith wasn't lying. He really was alone.

But, then she remembered he'd said something concerning. "Older? How much older?"

Theodore lead her downstairs, back to the grand room. But, before the two could sit, he immediately changed his mind, due to his stomach. He was starving - he hadn't eaten all day. "I'm three years older than him," He said as he changed direction.

Meredith followed him into the kitchen, but she didn't sit. She just stood there, suddenly remembering what Mr. Chambers had done to her for even standing in this room, and she felt the fear crawl up her throat.

"I should go back downstairs." She suddenly said, and turned to leave.

Theodore just stared at her. "Why? Are you hungry? I'm making lunch."

Meredith wanted to say no, but the moment she opened her mouth, her stomach growled. Her cheeks immediately flushed, and she took a step away from Theodore.

Theodore noticed this and reached for her, but she was faster, and took two more steps away. "Don't hurt me, please! I'll try to stop my stomach!"

Theodore froze, staring wide eyed at the girl in front of him. No wonder she was the size of a stick - she was afraid to eat. Or rather, she was afraid of what he would do to her if she ate.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I promise. Now, just sit down and I'll make you a sandwich."

Meredith shook her head so fast it made her dizzy. "Master will be home soon, and he'll give me an extra beating for being up here. I really should be going downstairs. He's going to beat me for showering, and I don't want to add to the pain, please."

She had never pleaded with the maids because she knew better. But Meredith didn't know Theodore. She didn't know how to act in this situation. She was teetering on being terrified of him and thankful he was around.

"By Master do you mean Keith?" Theodore dared to ask, and his blood ran cold the moment she nodded hesitantly. Suddenly, he felt anger flare through him at the thought of his baby brother laying a hand on her.

"I won't let him touch you, okay? Please just sit and eat a sandwich. You're clearly hungry."

Meredith was still stubborn and edging slowly towards the basement door. "I'm not supposed to eat until Master feeds me. I'm his pet to take care of, and his pet alone. Mr. Chambers made that clear."

Theodore felt sick to his stomach. Slowly, he was beginning to realize that the girl in front of him wasn't a simple house guest. No, she was being kept her against her will, and his own family was abusing her.

Meredith felt the fear run through her. She could see the clock, and while she couldn't tell time, she knew that Master came home when the numbers became 2 and 30. It was already nearing 2.

"Listen, Mr. Chambers is gone. And I'm not going to ask you again - come sit down and eat a sandwich."

Meredith's eyes widened at the tone of voice he used, and she immediately sat down, hoping he wouldn't hurt her. He was even more frightening when his voice was deep and menacing.