Chapter Twenty-One

The hospital room felt stuffy and closed in. Mary laid on the bed, cold and lonely, staring at the seat Theodore once occupated.

He'd gone to get food, and Mary knew this, but she felt as if he'd never return. As if he'd leave her here with no one but the doctors.

She felt her belly under her palm, amazed it could grow so big in just a few weeks. Being pregnant scared her - almost more than being in the basement. She had no idea what to expect, or what to do. She hated it.

The plus side was that, with the tutors, Mary was gradually learning more and more. Over the past few months, she was retaining so much information that she often felt her head about to explode. When it came to math and science, she was excellent. But, she wasn't as strong with english or history. Both subjects bored her to no end, and she found them pointless.

She wanted to eventually go to college. She wanted to eventually become someone Theodore wanted. Someone he could be proud of.

The door opened, and she expected it to be Theodore. Instead, Kacey strolled in.

Her younger sister was moody. Understandable, but obnoxious nonetheless. She often yelled at Mary, or ignored her all together.

It wasn't Mary's fault she was kidnapped, but it was her fault Kacey felt attention deprived and forgotten. And, who could blame her? Coming from parents who only cared for their missing daughter, it was hard for Kacey to feel loved.

For her entire life, Kacey had been put on the backburner.

But, Kacey was excited that Mary was pregnant.

"I love children!" Kacey always defended, but Mary felt a creeping suspicion that there was more to it. Perhaps Kacey saw this as Mary starting her own life, away from their parents. Mary wasn't sure.

"How's the baby?" Kacey flopping into the chair beside the bed. "Healthy, I hope."

Mary laughed weakly. "Yeah, I hope so too. I'm waiting for the doctor to come in."

Mary wanted to get the visit over with. She wanted to know how her baby was doing, and hope for the best. She had so much to do when she got home. Theodore had been looking into buying houses, and she couldn't wait to see his selections after the appointment.

He strode in just as the doctor did, and Mary beamed with happiness. Just looking at him made her heart soar - she was truly in love with him. There was always the chance that the baby inside of her wasn't his, but another man's, but she felt positive it was his.

The doctor began rubbing something on her stomach. "How're you feeling today? Good? Better than last time, I hope."

Last time, she'd gotten sick all over the room. She'd blamed it on morning sickness.

"Yes, so much better. And excited." She grabbed Theodore's hand in hers.

The doctor pointed up to the screen, where she could see her baby. At first, she couldn't see much, but then she could see the baby on the monitor.

"He's a healthy boy. Have you come up with a name since the last visit?"

Mary had been on the fence last visit. She had no clue what to name her son, but she had some ideas. But, after talking with Theodore, they'd narrowed it down.

"Elliott. He's going to be named Elliott."

The doctor smiled. "A great name for a great child," he agreed.

The rest of the visit went smoothly. Both her and Theodore left hand in hand, ready to look at houses. Ready to start their new life.

"I can't wait for Elliott to be born. Can you imagine all the cute clothes I can buy him?" Kacey piped up from behind. "Plus, I'd love to watch over him! Babysit him for a day or two!"

Mary laughed at her sister. "I think you're more excited than I am!" She exclaimed, sharing a look with Theodore. "You'll have plenty of time with him. Elliott's not going anywhere."

Mary rubbed her stomach excitedly. "So, Theodore, where to? Where's the first house?"

Kacey frowned at her words. "You're going house hunting? Yuck. Drop me off, please!"

"Typical," Theodore muttered, but smiled anyway. He loved Mary, and dealing with Kacey just came with it. Like an unwanted side effect.

"Sure. Fine. We'll drop you off." Mary said offhandedly, not really paying her sister attention. She was too excited about the child growing inside of her stomach. She was too pumped about house shopping and baby shopping that she didn't care about how Kacey was feeling.

Kacey knew this. She knew she always took back burner. It was the same thing with her parents, and now with her sister. She was used to being in the shadows, not meaning anything. She was bitter about it all, too, but she was trying hard to create a relationship with her sister.

At first, Kacey hated her. How could she not, with her parents always worrying about the daughter they lost? Her parents rarely gave her attention, and she'd be the first to admit she wanted more of it. And when Mary showed up, the star child returning at last, she despised of the sister who ruined her life.

But, she was trying hard to put it behind her because she knew it wasn't Mary's fault. She knew her sister didn't want to be kidnapped, and she felt horrible about what Mary went through.

But, still. Now her sister was pushing her away as well.

Kacey didn't matter, and she knew this. She was simply the background character of Mary's life, and she hated it so much. She wanted to be important. She wanted to feel loved.

She knew her parents loved her. She knew her parents didn't purposefully block her out. But, she was done with living like this.

And when her sister dropped her off at home, Kacey stomped all the way to her bedroom. She was angry and hurt; she needed someone. Her friends weren't close enough to talk to - that was how it always was in the popular crowd, though. She knew her friends were here only because Kacey was pretty.

They weren't real, genuine friends.

"Kacey, you in there?"

The knock at her bedroom door had her jumping off her bed. She didn't recognize the voice, and wasn't expecting anyone.

When she opened the door, a very tall boy stood on the other side. She took notice in the way he looked like Theodore, but she'd never met the boy before.

"I'm Keith," He extended his hand, and Kacey took it cautiously. "Is your sister here?"

* * *

A/N: 

So, i know you guys have waited for this. And I apologize.

I have major writers block for this story. It isn't coming as easily as it once did. Plus, not to throw myself a pity party, but I work 9 hours a day, six days a week. My only day off is when I go camping with my family. 

Now, it's pretty hard to find time to sit down and write when I wake up at seven, go workout before going into work at 9, and I don't get out until 6. And yeah, it'd be nice to write then, but I like to hang out with friends too. 

But, this story will be finished.  Bare with me. It'll be done before The Devil Child.

I hope you're still hanging on. And I hope you continue to enjoy this story.

Have a GREAT weekend, love you all xoxo