𝖋𝖑𝖆𝖘𝖍𝖇𝖆𝖈𝖐

869 AD

869 AD

(TW: suicide)

Her chest heaved with each ragged breath, her lungs burning as they filled with fire. Every inhale felt like swallowing needles, each exhale a futile attempt to get rid of the agony within her. The air around seemed to suffocate her with its weight.

Her tears fell fast and hot, mingling with the dirt and blood staining her hands. Pain, pain, pain. Every centimetre of her body was filled with the dreadful feeling. Not again, not again. She couldn't do this anymore. Make it stop, please make it stop.

She couldn't bear to look at Finn's lifeless form. She had lost everything - her mother, her brother - and now she stood alone, adrift a sea of emptiness. She was floating away, caught in the breeze and was left with only one choice.

Arabella had to kill herself.

Shaking, she got up from the dirt and finally willed herself to look at Finn's dead body. 'Wolf Boy' was written across his stomach in his blood, a cruel reminder of the villagers hatred and disgust. Anger boiled within her, threatening to consume her soul.

But she couldn't do anything now. How would she? Arabella was merely an 18-year-old girl. She lacked any power or knowledge to do anything.

So she didn't. She grabbed the bloody knife next to Finn's dead body and looked up at the full moon, its pale light casting eerie shadows across the forest floor. "Please forgive me," Arabella whispered, her voice barely a breath against the breeze.

Sobbing, she took one last look at the tall trees surrounding her and finally at Finn. "Please forgive me, Finn. There is nothing left for me. There- there is nothing I can do anymore. I have to stop it. I have to stop the pain Finn. It hurts. So much. This is the only way," Arabella sobbed out.

With trembling hands, she closed her glassy eyes and drove the same blade used to kill her brother into her heart and bled out on the dirt kilometres away from human life.

•••

Arabella instantly felt the cold air onto her skin. Opening her eyes, she looked at her surroundings. She was still deep into the woods, near to her village. Her hands quickly went to the spot where the heart was. Her white tunic was bloodied yet there was no wound. Confused, she slowly got up and her eyes travelled to where Finn was supposed to be. He wasn't there.

Arabella looked around at the empty and quiet forest. She decided to walk out, try to get to the village. It was a long way away. She took small steps, scared something would come out at her.

She was supposed to be dead. What happened?

"You died," a voice came from behind her. Arabella quickly turned around but no-one was there. "Here!" the voice sang from behind her again. Arabella swiftly spun around.

Her gaze was immediately captivated by the sight of a woman. Her laughter was like a siren's call, indulging her mind is curiosity. Cascading strands of long black hair framed her face, and her eyes, a mesmerising crimson, seemed to hold an otherworldly charm. Arabella found herself irresistibly drawn to the woman. Her mind warned her danger! but she was unable to resist the magnetic pull, as if an enchantment had woven its tendrils around her and handed her will to the alluring stranger.

"Who are you?" asked Arabella hesitantly.

"My name is Lilith, but you know me as the Devil," she answered casually.

Arabella immediately widened her eyes and stepped back a few paces, shrinking into herself.

"Relax Bella, I am not going to eat you," Lilith said with an unsettling ease.

"You are.. the Devil?" Arabella asked, her confusion evident. "This is Hell? I am in Hell?"

Lilith thought for a moment before answering. "No."

Arabella furrowed her eyebrows. "Where am I?" Tears welled in her eyes. She didn't want to be here. She couldn't.

"A place between Heaven and Hell. This doesn't typically take place here, but because you are special, you shall get the luxury of a second chance before you are immediately sent to... God." Her face scrunched up in disgust when she said that name.

"Second chance? I want to die," Arabella said desperately.

"No. You do not want to die. You prefer the idea of being dead over seeking revenge," The Devil explained. "But you are faithful, Bella. I am offering you something that I have never offered anyone before."

"Why me?" Arabella asked.

"You are perfect for this. Your tale is notable. The maiden whose mother was burned, brother murdered. You seek vengeance for those who have done it... also partly because my spell could only perform with the next human who would perish. Fortunately, for you, Bella, that is you."

Arabella was quiet for a moment before answering. "I want to die."

The Devil's expression instantly turned sour. "Yes, you do! And you shall be dead. Just allow me to explain." Arabella stood there and Lilith seized the opportunity to continue. "I desire to transform you into a vampire. An immortal creature that can drain the blood from humans. Kill them. And you will feel no remorse, no regret. You can turn it off - no emotions. You can get revenge. Do to them what they did to you. Hurt their family."

Arabella's face morphed into one of horror and disgust. "You want to turn me into a blood sucker?"

"Well... yes. But I will make it as though you crave it. You will get your revenge. You want revenge, yes? You wish the villagers to perish? They are deserving of it, are they not? They killed your family without a single doubt and you shall have the ability to do the same."

Arabella thought for a moment. She wasn't particularly one to hurt people, but they had hurt her family. They had killed and ruined her family. They deserved it. "Yes," Arabella finally answered quietly.

Lilith smiled widely. "Perfect. Now, I would need something in nature for the power I give you."

Arabella uncertainly asked, "What is it?"

"All you have to do is kill off those who deserve it. Like the villagers. Kill those who have done many wrongs in their life - those who are rightly evil."

"...why?"

Lilith rolled her eyes. "Things here in Hell haven't been very entertaining. I get at least 2 souls sent here in a month!" she exclaimed. "I need more, Bella. I need souls who will be sent to Hell. I am starving. And, by turning you into a vampire, I get to have all the souls I crave for eternity."

Arabella shrunk back. "I-... I don't know."

Lilith suddenly seemed as if she grew taller. "Bella, I have granted you the luxury of a choice! Now, accept it or I promise you, you will not be the only Chambers to be sent to Hell!" Lilith screamed at the poor girl.

Tears were know steaming down Arabella's face. "What do you mean? Mama, Finn? In Hell?"

Lilith smiled wickedly "Oh, you do not know the tale of your father?"

Arabella's eyes perked up. "What?"

"Never mind that, Bella. You have to choose. Now, or never."

"...Okay," Arabella finally chose. Unaware to her, that was the one word that triggered her life into something way worse than Hell itself.