𝖋𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖙𝖊𝖊𝖓

Tom wasn't keeping up with the conversation at Slughorn's table

Tom wasn't keeping up with the conversation at Slughorn's table. It was the second Slug Club dinner and all anyone could talk about was Arabella's astonishing performance at trial's that day.

Tom had been there, only to see what the fuss was about. He didn't want to admit anything, but it had been quite enjoyable. Seeing Arabella play was fascinating - he had never seen a girl play. Or so ruthlessly and elegantly at the same time.

He wasn't stupid enough to make any bets, but if he had, he probably would have placed money on Arabella. He had never seen her play before the trials, but she was not to be underestimated in anything. Tom had learnt that the hard way.

Arabella's voice interrupted Toms thoughts. She sat beside him, all grace and poise.

Tonight she was wearing, yet again, another deep red dress. This one covered her neck, her arms bare from shoulder to elbow, where she wore silk black gloves. The dress was backless too, not that Tom had noticed. He also didn't mean to notice how beautifully styled her hair was. Her black locks were set in softly designed waves. They framed her face so artfully, Tom's gaze unintentionally lingered. Arabella seemed to embody an inhuman allure, and Tom had been captured in her bubble.

"Tom?" Arabella asked again, and Tom could hear the smirk in her voice even before he looked from her hair to her face.

He recovered quickly. "Sorry, Chambers?"

Her grin widened. "What did you think of the trial's today? Did you witness me make history?"

Tom frowned. He didn't want to admit to her that he had been there. He had intentionally sat in between the Hufflepuff's so that no one could see him there. He never bothered to show up for anything quidditch related, so why now? He still didn't know.

He would keep this to himself and keep his reputation intact. He still didn't know what had compelled him to go, but exposing himself would trap him in a whole other conversation he'd rather not be in. So, he just arched an eyebrow, feigning disinterest. "Quidditch, Chambers? Stupid. I find my time better spent on activities that actually contribute to intellect and influence. Unlike some, I don't see the appeal of chasing after a ball on a broomstick."

Arabella chuckled like she was in on a joke he wasn't. Like she knew something he didn't. Was it possible she had seen him there, in the midst of her chase with Malfoy? That would've been almost impossible.

"You're missing out on the thrill of the game, Tom. It's not always about chasing a ball; sometimes, it's about outsmarting your opponents, seizing the moment, and winning." Although she didn't take her eyes off of Tom, Malfoy shrunk into himself, as if she were talking straight to him.

Slughorn, who had been enjoying the banter between Tom and Arabella, chimed in with a hearty laugh. "Tom, sometimes you've got to let loose a bit, you know. Books are splendid, but the beauty of life lies in moments of joy. And tonight is a celebration! A celebration of triumphs!"