chapter eighteen

Chapter Eighteen: Sound of Sirens

"What time did you get to sleep last night?" Robin asked, looking over at Lydia with a frown.

Lydia was squeezed between her and Max in the middle of the BMW's backseats. Dustin had called shotgun, and Lydia was struggling to get over the betrayal of Steve just allowing it to happen.

"What are you–" Lydia spoke through a yawn. "–my mom?"

"You look exhausted," Robin emphasised.

Lydia simply shrugged. "Steve snores."

Upon the accusation, her boyfriend immediately glanced into the rear-view mirror. "I didn't even snore last night!"

"Uh, yes you did," Lydia insisted. "I mean, it was mostly heavy breathing. But still."

Robin clicked her tongue, shaking her head. "Steve, could you be any more inconsiderate? She needs her beauty sleep!"

"She had another bad dream, that's why she's so tired," Steve corrected. "Got nothing to do with me." A smirk crept across his mouth. Lydia knew exactly what was coming. "Well, unless you count–"

"No!" Dustin screamed from the passenger side, hand clutching over his ears. Max cringed in the backseat, nose scrunching in disgust.

"Gross," Robin muttered.

"Steve," Lydia warned. He flashed her a teasing grin. "Also, your heavy breathing is just as annoying as the snoring."

"Oh, I'm sorry, Lyds, next time I'll try and shut off my human need for oxygen."

Robin rolled her eyes. "It'd do us all a favour." She cast a look at Lydia, who snickered. Even Max cracked a small smile.

It was true, Lydia had legitimately struggled falling back asleep because of Steve's ridiculously loud breathing, but it wasn't the main reason she was kept awake. Her mind had been churning over a vivid and gruesome nightmare since the early hours. One she desperately wished to forget.

The dream began with a blonde figure stood on the edge of the woods, partially disguised behind the leaves and trees. Lydia had caught a glimpse of a green pleated skirt and cheerleading uniform. The girl had turned and sprinted in the opposite direction, so Lydia followed, running and running and running, until she reached a clearing. That was where she stumbled across Chrissy Cunningham floating in the air.

The sight alone should have been enough to shake Lydia back into reality. But it didn't. She had screamed, shouted, pleaded, tried to move and help her. But Lydia was rooted to the ground, sinking deeper and deeper into the earth. She was forced to watch as Chrissy's bones cracked, twisting in unimaginable ways. To watch her eye sockets pop. And then, Chrissy dropped to the ground in a crumpled heap. Lydia was finally able to scurry down the incline, tripping and tumbling, covered in dirt and mud. But when she reached her, placed a hand on her shoulder, turned her over, Chrissy had transformed into somebody else...

Max.

Lydia closed her eyes, desperately trying to rid the haunting visuals from her mind.

The red-head was sat beside her, arm resting on the windowsill, chin placed in the palm of her hand. The relief that had washed over Lydia when they picked up Max, safe and sound, an hour ago was overwhelming. But the nightmare still niggled in the back of her mind.

Steve pulled up alongside Reefer Rick's boathouse and switched off the engine. Lydia took a moment to survey their surroundings; nothing seemed out of place, or like it had changed from the night before.