chapter four

Chapter Four: Trapped!

"Erica, do you copy?"

"Mm-hmm. I copy," Erica's response came through the walkie-talkie. "You nerds in position or what?"

"Yeah, we're in position," Robin replied. The others were back on the roof, overseeing the warehouse below. And, thankfully, the rain wasn't hammering down this time. "It's all quiet here, so you've got the green light."

"Green light, roger that. Commence Operation Child Endangerment."

Lydia cringed at the nickname. "Can we maybe not call it that?" Robin asked.

"See you on the other side. Nerds."

The transmission cut off. Lydia leaned over to Robin. "Why does she keep calling us nerds?"

"No idea."

"All right, nerds," Erica radioed back in. "I'm there."

"Do you– do you see anything?" Robin asked.

"Yeah, I see those boring boxes you're so excited about," Erica confirmed. Robin glanced up with a hopeful smile.

"Any guards?" Lydia double checked.

"Negative."

"Booby traps?"

"If I could see them, they'd be pretty shit traps, wouldn't they?"

"Thank you for that," Robin said sarcastically. Lydia chuckled, attempting to disguise a smile when she received a warning glare from her best friend.

"I'm in."

"Oh, God," Steve uttered as they clambered up from their positions and hurried down the steps.

Mechanics whirred as the double doors gradually moved apart, revealing Erica stood on the other side, a hand placed on her hip. "Free ice cream for life."

Grinning, the four of them followed Erica's lead inside until they reached the room full of cardboard boxes. Naturally, everybody gravitated to the first one they came across, standing around it in a circle.

Steve reached inside his jacket and took out a pocket knife. He used it to slice open the top of the box before handing it over to Dustin. Lydia wasn't entirely sure about giving a knife to a literal child, but alas.

Steve's fingertips grazed over the box, hesitating. "How much do you wanna bet it's just Chinese food?" Lydia teased, attempting to lighten the mood.

"It better not be," Robin said.

Steve opened the box cautiously. Lydia took a tiny step backwards, you know, just in case. He pulled back the flaps only to reveal...a metal container? Lydia frowned.

Steve reached for the handle and turned it. There was a hissing noise as he removed the lid, revealing four smaller tall, rounded glass containers inside.

"Well, that's definitely not Chinese food," Steve stated. He placed the lid on a nearby box and turned to the others, gesturing for them to take a step back. "Uh, maybe you guys should, you know, stand back."

Immediately, Lydia heeded his warning and took several large steps away from him. Without hesitation, Erica and Robin quickly joined her.

"No," Dustin refused, remaining at Steve's side.

"Just– just step back, okay?" Steve said, placing a hand against the boy's chest.

"No."

"Step back," Steve ordered again, attempting to push him away. "Seriously."