chapter ten

Chapter Ten: El

Upon Dustin's orders, the five of them exited the restroom and swiftly blended back into the busy mall. Back To The Future had just ended (Lydia was kind of jealous since she hadn't had chance to watch it yet) and people were piling out of the theatre in droves – which gave them the perfect opportunity to get out unnoticed. 

She would finally be going home. Lydia had never been more desperate to get back in her own bed.

"And blend," Dustin said, stepping into the midst of the crowd.

Lydia walked alongside Robin as they allowed themselves to get swept along. She smiled fondly over at her best friend, recalling the conversation she overheard in the bathroom. Lydia was so proud of her.

"Well, shit, that worked," Erica said in slight disbelief. Lydia almost felt like it was a little too easy.

"Course it worked," Dustin replied. "We just have to get on the bus with the rest of these plebs, and home sweet home, here we come."

"Uh, Dustin?" Steve cut in.

"What?"

"Yeah, we might not wanna go to your house," Steve said.

"Why?"

"Well, I might've told them your full name..."

"What is wrong with you?" Dustin hissed.

"Dude, I was drugged," Steve defended.

"So?" Dustin retorted.

"So?"

"So, you resist!" Dustin raised his voice exasperatedly. "You tough it out. You tough it out like a man."

Steve scoffed. "Oh, yeah, it's easy for you to say."

"Guys?" Robin interrupted, slowing to a stop.

Lydia followed her line of sight, noticing the queue of people that had formed ahead of the door. Everyone was being stopped on their way out of the mall, bags checked by a group of men dressed in all black.

Dustin's eyes grew wide. "Abort! Abort. Abort."

Lydia spun on her heel, glancing over her shoulder, where she accidentally made eye contact with one of the men. He brought a walkie talkie to his lips.

"Oh, shit!"

Lydia placed her hand on Robin's back, urging her to hurry up. The group shoved their way back through the crowd, muttering apologies as they pushed between people. Steve stumbled to a stop in front of the escalator that was blocking their path. It had been shut off by a rope, leaving them stuck.

"Shit," Steve cursed.

He turned his head to look behind them. Lydia did too, locating the men barging through the crowd. "Yeah, no, we need to go," she urged.

"Okay," Robin nodded in acceptance. She stepped up onto the smooth metal divider that connected both escalators.

Realising what she was about to do, Lydia lurched forwards. "Holy shit, Robin, no–"

Robin ignored her, sat and pushed herself down as if it were a slide.

"Robin, yes," Steve said as he took Lydia's hand and ushered up onto the surface. "Don't you dare!" She hissed. Lydia gripped tightly onto his hand so that he wouldn't let go. She looked down below her, gulping as she realised how far it was. "Steve..."

"Do you want to get killed by Russians?" He asked, to which Lydia firmly shook her head.

"Okay, then bye bye."